Premed 101 Forums

Where (If any) would I be accepted for Canadian Dental Schools

My stats:

GPA: 2 best years (Western, ...) :  3.921~3.942

dopping worst year (U of T, Alberta, etc): 3.917~3.932

I put range because this term will be my best year and grade isn't printed yet.

DAT: NOT TAKEN (What would be the MINIMUM requirement?)

CASPer: NOT TAKEN (What would be the MINIMUM requirement?)

EXTRACURRICULAR: NONE (Is there a minimum requirement for this?)

Q1. Which schools will give me interview and which will not? I plan to apply to every single one of them.

Q2. What do you guys do about the English requirement? Writing course.... the hell 1 full year requirement for some schools is mad. GPA wise highest English grade in our school was a B+ for first year. 

Q3. MDT - Alberta requires this. Just buy the DAT crusher subscription and study off that? did you guys purchase their soap kit? (from the DAT organization's site)

Im pretty much considering U of T, Western, Alberta, UBC, Dalhousie, Manitoba, Saskatchewan. Not going to McGill.

With that GPA you are fine for Alberta, UBC, and UofT. Manitoba puts more of an emphasis on core science courses so idk if that works in your favour or not.

Dalhousie and Western care about extracurriculars quite a bit so you need to do something if you want interviews there. 

For the DAT aim to get at least 21 in both AA and PAT to get interviews. If you are applying OOP then you need at least 22 in both. 

UBC is the only one that requires CASper I think, and you definitely need to practice for that. Scores are never released, all you can do is assume you did good enough if you get an interview there.

That's why you take English in your first year as lot of schools drop your worst/first year.

Why are you so confident for the interview lol?

On 1/31/2019 at 6:16 PM, Human Being said:

With that GPA you are fine for Alberta, UBC, and UofT. Manitoba puts more of an emphasis on core science courses so idk if that works in your favour or not.

Dalhousie and Western care about extracurriculars quite a bit so you need to do something if you want interviews there. 

For the DAT aim to get at least 21 in both AA and PAT to get interviews. If you are applying OOP then you need at least 22 in both. 

UBC is the only one that requires CASper I think, and you definitely need to practice for that. Scores are never released, all you can do is assume you did good enough if you get an interview there.

That's why you take English in your first year as lot of schools drop your worst/first year.

Thanks for reply. 

I contacted schools by email and from their response 21 seems to be the magic number.

Did you solve a lot of questions for DAT prep? There isn't not that many available ones.

On 1/31/2019 at 6:16 PM, Human Being said:

Western care about extracurriculars quite a bit so you need to do something if you want interviews there. 

what kind of extracurriculars do they favour?

41 minutes ago, Starburst said:

The only school that really looks at ECs is probably just Western. Focus on getting a high GPA and good DAT scores. 

Thanks! I hope you can answer another question,

I could take summer project courses that could potentially boost my GPA to 3.94 for Worst year Drop and 3.96 for Best two years. 

This will have some impact (but not significantly) on my DAT preparation for November. 

Does the school care once your GPA is above a certain range? I.e. does 3.92 get treated same as 3.90 - 3.94 bracket and 3.96 get treated as 3.95 - 4.00 bracket? 

I think I have read somwhere on this forum that once you are at a certain range, small differences dont count, but im pretty sure 3.94 and 3.96 will have a huge difference

compared to say 3.92 and 3.94. Does this matter at all?

1 hour ago, etodil said:

Thanks! I hope you can answer another question,

I could take summer project courses that could potentially boost my GPA to 3.94 for Worst year Drop and 3.96 for Best two years. 

This will have some impact (but not significantly) on my DAT preparation for November. 

Does the school care once your GPA is above a certain range? I.e. does 3.92 get treated same as 3.90 - 3.94 bracket and 3.96 get treated as 3.95 - 4.00 bracket? 

I think I have read somwhere on this forum that once you are at a certain range, small differences dont count, but im pretty sure 3.94 and 3.96 will have a huge difference

compared to say 3.92 and 3.94. Does this matter at all?

If you're GPA is that high, your time is better spent studying for the DAT than raising it up a 0.02 points.

Hi etodil,

Your GPA is solid. Try to maintain your current cGPA.

All you have to do is getting >20 from DAT all across the sections (higher the score the better, of course).

I would try to do some shadowings in different specialties (general, ortho, OMS, etc.) because I believe that those are the best extracurricular activities you could do in a short period of time as a candidate in dentistry. If you can manage to do some research, then I would recommend to do that as well (but it can be optional depends on your schedule).

In terms of CASPer, I can't mention anything about it since I haven't done that before. When I was applying to the dental schools, UBC and McGill were only ones that looked at CASPer scores (I might be wrong).

Simplify your schedule and do your best at what you can do at the current situation.

With a solid GPA (which you already have) + decent DAT score (minimum >20 on average) + meaningful EC, most of schools would be happy to see you at the interview.

Best of luck and hopefully you will hear great news in the near future.

Archived