Premed 101 Forums

Same cut-offs next year?

Hey guys,

I was currently studying to retake the MCAT just to increase my CARS from 128 to 129. Now I see that my current score meets the cutoffs and if I had applied this year my application would have been looked at. I'm conflicted on whether I should retake the MCAT, do you guys think the cutoffs will remain similar next cycle?

10 minutes ago, Amy97 said:

Hey guys,

I was currently studying to retake the MCAT just to increase my CARS from 128 to 129. Now I see that my current score meets the cutoffs and if I had applied this year my application would have been looked at. I'm conflicted on whether I should retake the MCAT, do you guys think the cutoffs will remain similar next cycle?

No one can answer this...

1. Apply every year, as the cutoffs can and may change every year.

2. Re-writing the MCAT is a very personal decision. As you can see, cutoffs can vary and not everyone can afford (time, money) to rewrite. If you feel that you were far below your average practice tests, then sure go for it. If you are hoping for an increase just because, then base it on your individual situation. 

Good luck with your future applications. 

Just now, dk3what said:

No one can answer this...

1. Apply every year, as the cutoffs can and may change every year.

2. Re-writing the MCAT is a very personal decision. As you can see, cutoffs can vary and not everyone can afford (time, money) to rewrite. If you feel that you were far below your average practice tests, then sure go for it. If you are hoping for an increase just because, then base it on your individual situation. 

Good luck with your future applications. 

yeah this is pretty solid advise - since they change the cut offs up or down if you are close it is usually logical to apply. Since this year in particular is a strange brew we are even less sure what will happen next year. They won't know yet - not even close - so the rest of us don't have much hope in being sure at this point :)

Archived