Premed 101 Forums

Masters vs PhD vs Other? Please Help!

Pending your MCAT score you could be competitive for Western, Queens and McMaster. Do you qualify for weighting at UofT? If you do, your GPA may be high enough for UofT as well. 

I think a research based masters in something you like isn't a bad idea. Taking a gap year isn't a bad idea as well as long as you do something productive with it.  

• 3 weeks later...

I would do a PhD (which I actually did),

See, most research-based master's programs say the duration is 2 years, but realistically, the vast majority of students finish in about 3 years, if you just add 2 extra years you will have a PhD,

Beside being a higher degree with will grant you more score on the applications, the PhD will allow you to publish better, get involved in more academic and non-academic activities, and have invaluable life experiences you can use all over your application and interview, also Med school value the PhD very very much, U of T in specific, and particularly if you got your PhD from U of T itself, 

The Master's is good too, but not as rare or valuable among the applicants pool,

Also keep in mind that you are not sure to get accepted in the Med school after the grad school, so PhD would be a good plan B, and anyway.... on the long run, PhD is gonna really help you if you plan to be a clinical scientist or work in academia even if you get into med school.

Hi @Scinapse, I may not be as experienced as other individuals to make a judgement as to how competitive someone may be, but I would definitely think your application is competitive as a grad student! Your publications/presentations/awards show research productivity, you have a good GPA, and coupled with some strong essays about your hobbies/Master’s/other and a good MCAT, I would think you have a great shot!

Archived