Premed 101 Forums

UBC Post Interview Impressions.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One station, in particular, left me very confused about what to do as soon as I walked through that door and I felt like crap just sitting there uncertain about what to do... overall probably underperformed in 3, feeling above average in 3 and pretty much baseline for the rest (hopefully).. Some of these questions definitely caught me very off guard. 

Generally, I really enjoyed myself and thought it was a very fair interview. It's funny that I generally have the same impression as others; the interviewers I had were mostly kind people who smiled and showed they were paying attention. I think I had 5 that went very well, and the rest I'm not sure of, although I think my first station was mostly less great because I was nervous, so maybe my interviewer will take pity on me. 

Now just for three short months (ha) of waiting. Good luck to everyone!

I felt that compared to the previous times that I have interviewed this time was a bit easier. Maybe it was my practice and the fact that I am a repeat interviewee. Questions were pretty straight forward, and one station traditionally known to be difficult was a little too easy. Like almost a rest station and I am seriously worried about the whole purpose of it.

Overall just like @DoctorArts 5 were excellent, and rest were Good/Okay. It's so hard to tell if someone with a grin or stoneface liked your answer or not. I did kind of ramble and get carried away at two very easy stations, and now am smacking on the head that those could have gone better if I had kept things simple, and not dragged in a few detailed life experiences.

Overall not too bad, but If everyone found them easy, and we are ranked comparatively, then Great stations would still be average.

First and foremost, congratulations to everyone that finished their interview at UBC!!  And now the 3 months begin :lol: 

I had a very great experience for my interview!  Every single interviewer seemed like they were engaged in my responses and our discussions – no one was expressionless; they all smiled and nodded as I was answering the questions/follow-ups.  Lol, some of them even laughed at some of the funny experiences I mentioned – this one interviewer, man he was so awesome!!  He was smiling and laughing (in a good way) most of the time :lol: .  But of course, these may be completely irrelevant to my actual performance; honestly, there is no way to tell how one actually did.  I feel like 7 stations went really well, and the rest could have been better.

As much as the interview is very important at this stage, it's not everything.  There are many variables, some that we know of (MCAT, reference letters, etc) and some that we don't know of, that impact adcom's decisions.  Just have faith in your own performance and have hope.  Only time will tell.

Remember to celebrate if you have not done so already, or at least take a deep breath of relief!  May seems like a long way away, but it's already approaching us as we speak.  Soon, we shall all find out if we're a 2023rd-er ;) .  Till then, stay sharp, be optimistic, have fun, and remember that no matter what happens... no matter what you receive in May... you are all amazing, incredibly well-achieved people.

All the best!!

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, acceptmeplease said:

waiting for the email telling us about the admission result date like... :confused:

I think they may send the notification email the week of April 22nd?  I’m strongly guessing results will be released on Friday, May 10.  If that’s the case, we’re basically at t—4 weeks!  :o

16 minutes ago, Neurophiliac said:

I think they may send the notification email the week of April 22nd?  I’m strongly guessing results will be released on Friday, May 10.  If that’s the case, we’re basically at t—4 weeks!  :o

So soon but also not nearly soon enough!! 

I have a countdown clock on my phone for May 10th, because the pattern definitely suggests that. But if they want to release earlier, I won't complain! We had our interviews two months ago! 

May the force be with everyone and the odds be ever in your favour.

(P.S. Countdown is 29 days)

4 hours ago, Neurophiliac said:

Just digging through the archived emails from last year, the first mention of an offer date came in the April 12th, 2018 email, so whooo knows! Granted the pre-interview email came relatively late this cycle didn't it. Hope everyone's hanging in there - the wait is coming to a close(ish)!

Also, LOVE the countdown clock! :lol: 

1 hour ago, Salty_Ruin said:

Just 4 more weeks of obsessively checking emails and the forum knowing there will be nothing there.....! 

We can do this!!! :D 

Count me in :lol:

6 hours ago, ohimark said:

Just digging through the archived emails from last year, the first mention of an offer date came in the April 12th, 2018 email, so whooo knows! Granted the pre-interview email came relatively late this cycle didn't it. Hope everyone's hanging in there - the wait is coming to a close(ish)!

Also, LOVE the countdown clock! :lol: 

Oooh interesting.  So maybe they send a notification email tomorrow?  Or maybe next week?  I’m reeeaaaally thinking it will be May 10, but we shall see.

6 hours ago, Neurophiliac said:

Count me in :lol:

Oooh interesting.  So maybe they send a notification email tomorrow?  Or maybe next week?  I’m reeeaaaally thinking it will be May 10, but we shall see.

I’m expecting an email today with the notification and I think it’ll be a May 10 D-day. At least that’s how it’s been historically, but we never know with this cycle :eek:

Here's something for you to digest in case you have nothing better to do, (accuracy not guaranteed):

Offers release date:

2018 May 11 (Friday)

2017 May 12 (Friday)

2016 May 11 (Wednesday)

2015 May  8 (Friday)

2014 May 15 (Thursday)

2013 May 15 (Wednesday)

2012 May 15 (Tuesday)

2011 May 12 (Thursday)

2010 May 14 (Friday)

2009 May 15 (Friday)

2008 May 15 (Thursday)

2007 May 16 (Wednesday)

2006 May 15 (Monday)

Over 10 years ago, the offer release day had been around mid-May for a few years. I think beginning in 2015, UBC had moved up the release day to sync with those schools that release earlier in May. But with this year's interview invites being sent so late, anything could happen!

Archived