Premed 101 Forums

UBC Post Interview Impressions.

39 minutes ago, ATG4B said:

For those working ... are you planning to work through the summer or take some time off? 

If I’m lucky enough to receive an acceptance I will definitely take the summer off, see friends and family, focus on some R&R before school starts. If not, I’ll kee working throughout the summer

14 hours ago, ATG4B said:

For those working ... are you planning to work through the summer or take some time off? 

There are quite a few of us med-hopefuls where I'm at, so the bosses know to expect us to leave at the latest by the end of July if there's an acceptance. I would spend 2 weeks in August traveling, 1 week moving if need be if thats possible... and that I have enough money saved by then to travel LOL!

7 minutes ago, brockboeser6 said:

i'm gonna take some time off probably starting at latest beginning of August....got my first bb on the way in late September so gonna need as much relaxation/prep time as possible haha

That's so exciting!! Dr. mom :) Congratulations

3 hours ago, Poloma said:

so ... where is that email at???

I think it could potentially come next week?  I mean this week is not over yet either haha :lol:

1 hour ago, ricekrispies said:

...hm...i really hope this delay doesn't mean we get our results a little later too...

Yeah... anything is possible within this cycle :S

3 minutes ago, Industrial said:

Do you guys know if they do the whole contacting verifiers (again) and references thing post-interview?

In theory, they could do all the things they did pre-interview. However, I haven’t heard of anyone having verifiers/references contacted post-interview. It seems like NAQs aren’t assessed as rigorously as they are pre-interview.

Just so people know, working over the summer (working at all really) means you almost definitely won't get a bursary and you'll end up with the same amount of money as people who took the summer off and qualified for funding (everyone who qualifies for the need threshold gets some funding). For people who have already been working prior to May, you're probably already disqualified from funding and the decision is up to you. 

3 minutes ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

Just so people know, working over the summer (working at all really) means you almost definitely won't get a bursary and you'll end up with the same amount of money as people who took the summer off and qualified for funding (everyone who qualifies for the need threshold gets some funding). For people who have already been working prior to May, you're probably already disqualified from funding and the decision is up to you. 

Which bursary are you referring to? Or do you mean Canada student loan funding? 

3 minutes ago, ATG4B said:

Which bursary are you referring to? Or do you mean Canada student loan funding? 

All UBC students apply for bursary in the fall. If you meet the need threshold, there is a very large pot of money that is divided amongst everyone in the Faculty of Medicine who met that threshold. The money you get is usually ~7000 - 10000 per year, aka about what most people would make by working over the summer. I can't remember the exact details of the application and how they assess need, but basically it's usually better to just not work. 

2 hours ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

All UBC students apply for bursary in the fall. If you meet the need threshold, there is a very large pot of money that is divided amongst everyone in the Faculty of Medicine who met that threshold. The money you get is usually ~7000 - 10000 per year, aka about what most people would make by working over the summer. I can't remember the exact details of the application and how they assess need, but basically it's usually better to just not work. 

How much you get for bursaries primarily depends on how much unmet need you have based on your student loan application (this was confirmed by the med finance coordinator this year). Student loans, and therefore unmet need are based on your tax return from the previous year (2018 for entering 2023's), as well as a number of factors like marital status, indigenous status, whether you have dependents, whether or not you live at home (i.e. with parents), how long you've been out of high school, and some additional things.

A few months of work might affect your 2019 income, and therefore your student loan and bursary for your second year, but it shouldn't have any implications for funding for year 1 

Saying all of that I worked full time in the 2017 and still got a good bursary (on par and actually more than some of my peers), so I wouldn't be too worried about "definitely not getting a bursary" with a month or so of extra work. 

@OwnerOfTheTARDIS @casajayo thanks to you both for the detailed information on student loans & bursaries! I honestly had no idea about the bursaries and was wondering how people manage to last 4 years without maxing out their LOC! 

Do you happen to remember if the Canada Student Loan assessment takes into account that tuition is ~$18k per year? On my undergrad assessments they only allowed for $3k per semester ... And for MED3/4 .. I imagine you can qualify for student loans over the summer as well since you are in clerkship? 

Thanks again :D

1 hour ago, ATG4B said:

@OwnerOfTheTARDIS @casajayo thanks to you both for the detailed information on student loans & bursaries! I honestly had no idea about the bursaries and was wondering how people manage to last 4 years without maxing out their LOC! 

Do you happen to remember if the Canada Student Loan assessment takes into account that tuition is ~$18k per year? On my undergrad assessments they only allowed for $3k per semester ... And for MED3/4 .. I imagine you can qualify for student loans over the summer as well since you are in clerkship? 

Thanks again :D

Yes, they do take this into account. In first year you get ~15K for the year from BC student loans including grants. More in third year since it’s all year. 

5 hours ago, casajayo said:

How much you get for bursaries primarily depends on how much unmet need you have based on your student loan application (this was confirmed by the med finance coordinator this year). Student loans, and therefore unmet need are based on your tax return from the previous year (2018 for entering 2023's), as well as a number of factors like marital status, indigenous status, whether you have dependents, whether or not you live at home (i.e. with parents), how long you've been out of high school, and some additional things.

A few months of work might affect your 2019 income, and therefore your student loan and bursary for your second year, but it shouldn't have any implications for funding for year 1 

Saying all of that I worked full time in the 2017 and still got a good bursary (on par and actually more than some of my peers), so I wouldn't be too worried about "definitely not getting a bursary" with a month or so of extra work. 

The bursary eligibility with working is tricky, and it varies year to year. I do know people who worked and ended up with nothing or nearly nothing last year. But I worked, and was still eligible.

It’s difficult to predict, because it depends on how many people have unmet need after student loans, and how many of them have more unmet need than you. So it varies year to year, and depends on the size of the pot and the makeup of your class.