Premed 101 Forums

UBC Post Interview Impressions.

8 hours ago, NKcell said:

Yes, they do take this into account. In first year you get ~15K for the year from BC student loans including grants. More in third year since it’s all year. 

When you say ~$15k including grants, do you mean including the UBC grants? Or is that just the student loan and the small grant they offer? 

16 hours ago, frenchpress said:

The bursary eligibility with working is tricky, and it varies year to year. I do know people who worked and ended up with nothing or nearly nothing last year. But I worked, and was still eligible.

It’s difficult to predict, because it depends on how many people have unmet need after student loans, and how many of them have more unmet need than you. So it varies year to year, and depends on the size of the pot and the makeup of your class.

Ok, good to know and a bit frustrating for me. I worked the summer between my 3rd and 4th year undergrad and got nothing 1st year and worked the summer directly before med school and got nothing :angry: The system for allocating bursary money makes no sense to me.