Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chaplin

UBC Post Interview Impressions.

So now that Interviews are all done and we can do nothing except hyperanalyze our performances till decision day, what did everyone make of their particular experiences?

Edited by Chaplin
Timing complements to CarolynH

I think I did very well. All interviewers were extremely receptive to my responses. Hopefully I didn't say anything too controversial or break privacy standards when telling stories of my personal experiences. 

One station, in particular, left me very confused about what to do as soon as I walked through that door and I felt like crap just sitting there uncertain about what to do... overall probably underperformed in 3, feeling above average in 3 and pretty much baseline for the rest (hopefully).. Some of these questions definitely caught me very off guard. 

Generally, I really enjoyed myself and thought it was a very fair interview. It's funny that I generally have the same impression as others; the interviewers I had were mostly kind people who smiled and showed they were paying attention. I think I had 5 that went very well, and the rest I'm not sure of, although I think my first station was mostly less great because I was nervous, so maybe my interviewer will take pity on me. 

Now just for three short months (ha) of waiting. Good luck to everyone!

I felt that compared to the previous times that I have interviewed this time was a bit easier. Maybe it was my practice and the fact that I am a repeat interviewee. Questions were pretty straight forward, and one station traditionally known to be difficult was a little too easy. Like almost a rest station and I am seriously worried about the whole purpose of it.

Overall just like @DoctorArts 5 were excellent, and rest were Good/Okay. It's so hard to tell if someone with a grin or stoneface liked your answer or not. I did kind of ramble and get carried away at two very easy stations, and now am smacking on the head that those could have gone better if I had kept things simple, and not dragged in a few detailed life experiences.

Overall not too bad, but If everyone found them easy, and we are ranked comparatively, then Great stations would still be average.

First and foremost, congratulations to everyone that finished their interview at UBC!!  And now the 3 months begin :lol: 

I had a very great experience for my interview!  Every single interviewer seemed like they were engaged in my responses and our discussions – no one was expressionless; they all smiled and nodded as I was answering the questions/follow-ups.  Lol, some of them even laughed at some of the funny experiences I mentioned – this one interviewer, man he was so awesome!!  He was smiling and laughing (in a good way) most of the time :lol: .  But of course, these may be completely irrelevant to my actual performance; honestly, there is no way to tell how one actually did.  I feel like 7 stations went really well, and the rest could have been better.

As much as the interview is very important at this stage, it's not everything.  There are many variables, some that we know of (MCAT, reference letters, etc) and some that we don't know of, that impact adcom's decisions.  Just have faith in your own performance and have hope.  Only time will tell.

Remember to celebrate if you have not done so already, or at least take a deep breath of relief!  May seems like a long way away, but it's already approaching us as we speak.  Soon, we shall all find out if we're a 2023rd-er ;) .  Till then, stay sharp, be optimistic, have fun, and remember that no matter what happens... no matter what you receive in May... you are all amazing, incredibly well-achieved people.

All the best!!

Man, as an OOP was I incredibly impressed with Vancouver as a city, UBC campus and the admissions staff. Everybody was wonderful and I defs had a warm welcome. Overall, 5/10 stations went GREAT, rest were good! Definitely hope I have the chance to attend here, but hope my 509 MCAT won't hold me back.