Premed 101 Forums

Weight of Recommendations?

Hi All, 

Does anyone have any idea how important your recommendations are to the overall application? This is my first year applying and interviewing and I had a past work supervisor, family friend who is a nurse, and a principal do my recommendations but I did not have specifically a professor or supervisor from research or anything. I am wondering if the more 'personal' (but not breaking the rules) referees will be frowned upon or weaken my application? I am sure they said good things. 

Any insight is helpful. Thanks

2 hours ago, dockerr said:

Hi All, 

Does anyone have any idea how important your recommendations are to the overall application? This is my first year applying and interviewing and I had a past work supervisor, family friend who is a nurse, and a principal do my recommendations but I did not have specifically a professor or supervisor from research or anything. I am wondering if the more 'personal' (but not breaking the rules) referees will be frowned upon or weaken my application? I am sure they said good things. 

Any insight is helpful. Thanks

They have zero weight as stated in the application information bulletin. They are simply to make sure you’re a good person who knows three people who can say good things about you. 

4 hours ago, Atwood-45 said:

They have zero weight as stated in the application information bulletin. They are simply to make sure you’re a good person who knows three people who can say good things about you. 

I would agree. I had someone from admissions tell me that they are literally only to make sure you are not an axe murderer. Don't worry about the strength of your references, there is no difference. 

Archived