Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Interview Invites 2018/2019

Time Stamp: 2:34 PM PST 
GPA: 3.78
MCAT: 517 (131 CARS)
Top 10: Pretty standard- two years research experience + funding (no pubs), 2 hospital volunteering, first aid, some long-term sports, and I threw in a unique/interesting personal experience 

LOR: I believe they were strong? One from research PI, soccer coach, and first aid coordinator 

Could we give stats too?

Time Stamp: DD/MM/YYYY - XX:XX AM/PM
GPA: 3.96
MCAT: 521 (131 CARS)
Year: MSc
ECs: Not amazing (not good enough for Western or Ottawa or UBC), lots of research, decent amount of volunteering, couple trips, arts, sports, etc.

Invite (IP)

GPA= 3.76

UG in progress (4th year)

MCAT = 515 (126 cars)

EC = research, research awards, volunteering in the emergency department and also wrote about a couple of personal experiences

First time applying and after receiving a rejection from U of A, I was pretty devastated but really thankful for this opportunity. 

To give some non traditional applicants some hope.

Time Stamp: 05/02/2019  3:30

GPA: 3.84

MCAT: 508 (129 cars)

Academic: 2 bachelor degrees. BHs (bachelor health science) , BA (econ)

EC's: Non traditional, was a registered massage therapist for 10 years. Volunteered in Nepal, Big brothers, Habitat for humanity. Nothing huge. 

GPA: 3.86

MCAT: 502 (126 CARS)

Academic: Non traditional applicant. BSc in Accounting and Finance in the US. Master's in Law in US. 

EC's: NCAA D1 Sports, multiple leadership positions through sports, no research/publications, thought my Top 10's were so-so.

First time applicant. Will definitely be applying again next year. Congrats to all who got an interview!

Invite OOP, 2nd time applying 

4.00 GPA 

526 (130 CARS)

Top 10: I felt that they're fairly typical, with a bit of travel and an intense patient experience thrown in for added spice. Similar to last year and generally had above average scores for that round. 

LOR: I believe they were all good. 

Last year I missed the cutoff for an interview by <.2 points (Got a 109.65 overall score), with a reference who filled in the form incorrectly and sent a rude email to the admissions committee about their reference format. This year I kept things about the same, but got a much stronger reference from a different person. Also reworded things a bit and added more hours to my top 10.

Time Stamp: too lazy to find it sorry
GPA: 3.96
MCAT: 515 (128 CARS) 
Year: MSc in progress
ECs: I would say they were things that showed commitment and diversity. I really tried to incorporate how my personal experiences influenced each undertaking. It was a mix of community activities, personal outreach initiatives, research (MSc first year & summer research), hobbies and my experience as an immigrant!  

First time applying to UofC, second time to UofA. Got invites for both!! So excited!!!!!

Soooo happy! Second year applying (first time applying to UofC), and only interview invite from 6 schools this year. So, really putting all my might into this one!!

Time Stamp: 05/02/2019  17:22

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 509 (129 cars)

Academic: BA in Communications (2009), currently in last year of BScNursing.

EC's: Non traditional, mature student, public health research in Brazil, student advocacy, social justice initiatives, clinical volunteering, clinical placements in nursing, shadowing in ICU.

Congratulations to all who got an invitation today!! Enjoy the thrill! 

If you didn’t, please don’t be discouraged!! I’ve definitely been in your shoes (5 times this year alone). It will come in due time! Medicine is a calling, so don’t give up - ever!

Time Stamp: 4:02 pm, February 5, 2019
GPA: 3.61
MCAT: 510 (128 CARS) 
Year: BSc, Graduating this year
ECs: Diverse but slightly outdated (some >3 years old), no research, but some volunteer, travel, and personal experience.

Congratulations to all with invites! Very excited to apply again next year!