Premed 101 Forums

Please switch spots!!!

3 minutes ago, chiynadoll said:

I might as well jump on this bandwagon... 
I have a family commitment in Asia March 2-3, I literally won't be on the same side of the globe... 

I emailed adcom but they just told me to decline the interview if I can't make it so the next person on interview waitlist can take it...

Not even surprised, I guess they can't really add you to another session. That's just how it goes with group interviews, adding one more person would probably destabilize the way its set up. Really sucks if you can't make it. Good luck on your other interviews though!

25 minutes ago, SomethingCool said:

Not even surprised, I guess they can't really add you to another session. That's just how it goes with group interviews, adding one more person would probably destabilize the way its set up. Really sucks if you can't make it. Good luck on your other interviews though!

Yeah I understand that it’s complex, it’s just very unfortunate. The way they do it saves so much time for them, but makes it a bitter battle for us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey jumping on this as well! For religious reasons I cannot attend the March 2nd interview, but they said they cannot offer me anything else... even though I kind of feel like it's religious discrimination. Anyways, if anyone would be willing to switch with me, I'd be soo sooo appreciative!! (again mine is March 2nd)

1 hour ago, yuwu said:

Hey jumping on this as well! For religious reasons I cannot attend the March 2nd interview, but they said they cannot offer me anything else... even though I kind of feel like it's religious discrimination. Anyways, if anyone would be willing to switch with me, I'd be soo sooo appreciative!! (again mine is March 2nd)

Look, as someone who was also frustrated with the slot I got, let's not bring discrimination into this. What are they supposed to do? They can't completely change the schedule or kick someone out of their slot just because you need to be accommodated. That sets a precedent for anyone unhappy with their date. By making it "fair" for you, it's potentially made unfair for someone else.

3 hours ago, yuwu said:

Though the above comment sums it up well, I still want to mention something. If Queen's is known for their strict interview scheduling and they make a special case for you, then that's reverse-discrimination to everyone outside your religion. Religious discrimination is only if your specific religion is discriminated against, that is clearly not the case if everyone is suffering the same treatment.

Just let this thread die there's literally nothing that can be done for anyone here, doesn't matter what factors are involved, Queens has made this abundantly clear.

This has absolutely nothing to do with religious discrimination, rather, it is all about you exercising your freedom of choice not to go to the scheduled interview appointment, and you preferring not to get into med school (assuming you would be accepted here and in no other school) so that you can honour what you consider to be your religious obligations that you consider to be more  important. This is entirely in your hands, your sole decision, but do not expect the medical school to make an exception for you and/or to prejudice someone's else's interests (given others have already locked in their interview dates) in your favour. You can choose to frame the issue any way you wish, e.g., in a self-serving manner, but that does not mean your portrayal is either fair or accurate.

The time to have made representations, if this were possible, would have been before you were given a date, not after the fact.

9 hours ago, yuwu said:

honest question, are you just not ever going to work on a saturday during med school/residency? Like if they put you on call that day and no one else can cover, what are you going to do?

Lol guys let's ease off a bit. I'm sure he/she understands by now. Religious discrimination is a big claim and not valid here.

They probably are a very devoted person with something of particular significance that day. That truly truly sucks. But interviews aren't a "right" so they don't owe anyone an accomodation. It's just nice if they do it, but it's not discrimination. It just sucks, sorry dude :(.

56 minutes ago, beeboop said:

honest question, are you just not ever going to work on a saturday during med school/residency? Like if they put you on call that day and no one else can cover, what are you going to do?

Come on...no one is trying to change an interview for a regular weekly service. Let's not be fasicious.

5 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

Come on...no one is trying to change an interview for a regular weekly service. Let's not be fasicious.

yuwu posted in another Queen's thread "I observe the Sabbath (and therefore it's super tricky for me attend). They don't seem to be willing to accommodate me for this." I'd agree that they're probably a very religiously devoted person with something of particular significance that day. That particular significant event just happens to occur once a week. \_O_/

2 minutes ago, xiphoid said:

yuwu posted in another Queen's thread "I observe the Sabbath (and therefore it's super tricky for me attend). They don't seem to be willing to accommodate me for this." I'd agree that they're probably a very religiously devoted person with something of particular significance that day. That particular significant event just happens to occur once a week. \_O_/

Oh...didn't think it would be regular weekly service that would interfere...I mean it's still a legit part of their religion, but I guess we expect people not to take the weekly stuff as seriously. Ah well...@beebop, I guess you were right lol.

Either way, I think we got the message across. Let's not be to harsh.

5 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

what? he clearly says in his other post on premed101 he cant attend the interview because its on the sabbath, which is every week. Theres no indication in his post that theres anything particularly special about that weekend.

59 minutes ago, beeboop said:

what? he clearly says in his other post on premed101 he cant attend the interview because its on the sabbath, which is every week. Theres no indication in his post that theres anything particularly special about that weekend.

Relax, read my last post I agreed with you lol.

I don't usually dig into people's post history.

Archived