Premed 101 Forums

Worth applying to Wayne State's EDP as a Canadian?

Hi! Long time lurker and first time poster here. Very grateful for these forums - thanks in advance for everyone's input.

I see that most Early Decision Programs in American schools are targeted towards people with extenuating or specific circumstances - e.g. husband and wife want to remain in the same state/city, wife applies EDP to school in said state/city detailing her circumstances. Some schools specify the type of people they are looking for, other schools say "get in touch with us before you decide to apply EDP" - I presume because they know that applying EDP is a big deal for an applicant (significantly lowers your chances of acceptance to other schools) so they want to help make sure that you're the "type" they're looking for, and that it's worth your shot?

I've been considering applying EDP to Wayne State because a) their acceptance rate via EDP is really high (although < 15 people apply) and b) I feel like my chances of acceptance in any other mid/high tier American school are low. 

If I apply, I'd be banking on the assumption that applying EDP offers me a higher chance of acceptance. BUT, I don't know if I'd have a similar success because I'm a Canadian and would be treated as such even in the EDP process - heck, what if their EDP process is only targeted to Americans and they just want my application fee? I don't know what the EDP applicant pool looks like at Wayne State. Unlike other schools, Wayne State offers nothing about their target audience for EDP - I've been trying to contact them but all the information I've received from them thus far are the minimum cutoffs for application. 

TLDR: Is it worth it to apply to Wayne State's EDP as a Canadian? 

My AMCAS GPA would be ~3.83 and my MCAT is 520.

21 minutes ago, coconutbread said:

Hi! Long time lurker and first time poster here. Very grateful for these forums - thanks in advance for everyone's input.

I see that most Early Decision Programs in American schools are targeted towards people with extenuating or specific circumstances - e.g. husband and wife want to remain in the same state/city, wife applies EDP to school in said state/city detailing her circumstances. Some schools specify the type of people they are looking for, other schools say "get in touch with us before you decide to apply EDP" - I presume because they know that applying EDP is a big deal for an applicant (significantly lowers your chances of acceptance to other schools) so they want to help make sure that you're the "type" they're looking for, and that it's worth your shot?

I've been considering applying EDP to Wayne State because a) their acceptance rate via EDP is really high (although < 15 people apply) and b) I feel like my chances of acceptance in any other mid/high tier American school are low. 

If I apply, I'd be banking on the assumption that applying EDP offers me a higher chance of acceptance. BUT, I don't know if I'd have a similar success because I'm a Canadian and would be treated as such even in the EDP process - heck, what if their EDP process is only targeted to Americans and they just want my application fee? I don't know what the EDP applicant pool looks like at Wayne State. Unlike other schools, Wayne State offers nothing about their target audience for EDP - I've been trying to contact them but all the information I've received from them thus far are the minimum cutoffs for application. 

TLDR: Is it worth it to apply to Wayne State's EDP as a Canadian? 

My AMCAS GPA would be ~3.83 and my MCAT is 520.

Just given your stats alone, it perplexes me why you think your American acceptance chances are low? Even with minimal ECs, with the right wording and "sell" you would definitely get interviews provided you applied early. They love total MCAT score, and that will help you out a lot. If going to the States is your goal, and can afford applying to most Canadian friendly ones, I would think you have a great shot. 

To answer your actual question - I am not too familiar with EDP, and can't seem to understand based on your explanation of it why you would choose that over "taking your chances" which I think are high. You've done almost all the hard work, now just take your apps seriously and see where you end up! 

Archived