Premed 101 Forums

Jobs to include on med school application

jDDS08

Im still in first-year of my undergrad, but I was wondering if all job experiences should be included in a med school application - not just ones with like clinical experience or relating to the medical field. I worked in labour during my summer before first year (roofing) and was given a lot of responsibility on the job - doing a lot of tasks on my own with a crew member (who mainly just supervised), long shifts (sometimes 14 hours long). There isnt a lot online about including these types of jobs in the application.... and it was only for one summer, should i even include it at all? 

I would definitely include it all. As a reviewer, I did like to see busybodys, it doesn't really matter what you did, just that you did something. It really is hard to compare being a barista vs a research volunteer vs labourer etc. You can't really say one is better than the other. Medicine is very time consuming and I think its important to choose people who have proven able to handle a challenging workload. 

2 hours ago, Edict said:

I would definitely include it all. As a reviewer, I did like to see busybodys, it doesn't really matter what you did, just that you did something. It really is hard to compare being a barista vs a research volunteer vs labourer etc. You can't really say one is better than the other. Medicine is very time consuming and I think its important to choose people who have proven able to handle a challenging workload. 

would it be in my best interest to stay with this employer for the coming years as well? From what I read online "consistency is key". But I wouldn't want to do the same job again - it was more of just an experience I wanted to do for the fun of it and learning stuff I wouldn't have known otherwise. I also plan on doing security / personal training in the coming years, but idk ... would it be best to diversify and try everything out or just stay consistent with one job?

Some schools hint at length of time as being valuable, but it's hard to know how they would judge the replacement with a different activity. After all, you can develop new skills. I wouldn't stick to your job if you want to move on to something else. You can show consistency in your application through other activities. 

I think it’ll be valuable to put it in. Back when I was applying, I added all sorts of jobs on my application, from being a waitress, newspaper delivery person, to being theatre usher and more. It shows that you have some real world experience that is outside of academia which is good for well-roundedness and diversity.

Not everyone has the luxury of not needing to work. Some can’t afford to go to school otherwise.  Hence showing your work experience can also help you compensate for having less extra-curriculars or research (if those are possible lacking areas). Furthermore, jobs allow you to gain life experience and a type of maturity that you wouldn’t be able to gain from being in school—so definitely would be a plus in my eyes. 

Lastly, I think it’s fine to diversify. Do what your heart desires. If a job makes you miserable, don’t keep doing it. Do something that makes you happy. You’re young and this is a time to explore. I think I had at least 12 jobs on my application lol. 

13 hours ago, jr08 said:

would it be in my best interest to stay with this employer for the coming years as well? From what I read online "consistency is key". But I wouldn't want to do the same job again - it was more of just an experience I wanted to do for the fun of it and learning stuff I wouldn't have known otherwise. I also plan on doing security / personal training in the coming years, but idk ... would it be best to diversify and try everything out or just stay consistent with one job?

accidental

13 hours ago, jr08 said:

My advice is, don't factor med apps into what you do otherwise. As a reviewer, no one is going to look closely at minutiae like this. No one would say: "I like the labourer who worked for 7 years, but not the labourer who worked for 5 years and a security guard who worked for 2 years". It's just not relevant. Reviewers have a hard enough time balancing the EC accomplishments of someone applying after 3rd yr vs someone applying after a masters, they don't care about small things like this. 

22 hours ago, jr08 said:

Im still in first-year of my undergrad, but I was wondering if all job experiences should be included in a med school application - not just ones with like clinical experience or relating to the medical field. I worked in labour during my summer before first year (roofing) and was given a lot of responsibility on the job - doing a lot of tasks on my own with a crew member (who mainly just supervised), long shifts (sometimes 14 hours long). There isnt a lot online about including these types of jobs in the application.... and it was only for one summer, should i even include it at all? 

Include every and ALL jobs.

Most med applicants have never worked a day in their life in real, crappy jobs. So anything that you've done include. 

2 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Include every and ALL jobs.

Most med applicants have never worked a day in their life in real, crappy jobs. So anything that you've done include. 

should I include them all in just one section of the extracurriculars? or talk about them separately - even if they are just summer jobs or working at mcdonalds for 6 months?

42 minutes ago, jr08 said:

should I include them all in just one section of the extracurriculars? or talk about them separately - even if they are just summer jobs or working at mcdonalds for 6 months?

They'll go under employment, each a separate entry. Summer jobs or short-term commitment, all fine. Don't get the impression that people stick to jobs for years. There's nothing wrong with a shorter involvement. You still acquire skills that merit description in an individual entry 

1 hour ago, jr08 said:

Working at McDonald’s involves CanMEDS Competencies, communication skills with customers, health and safety concerns relating to food, management, leadership. All jobs give you a platform to market yourself! :P Also, diversity of life experiences is a good thing.

Archived