Premed 101 Forums

Are all Bachelor of Science Degrees Equal?

Hello people of the forum! (I posted this on the general forum too but its pretty time sensitive so I'd like all the advice I can get)

I was just curious to know if all Bachelor of Science degrees are viewed as equal by medical schools. I'm in BioMedical science but was also given the chance to specialize/transfer into Bachelor of Science in agriculture (I know pretty wierd). I wouldn't say BioMed really interest me that much as its mostly pure sciences. I've been browsing other programs and whether its agriculutre, or marine biology, pharmacology, or enviormental science, they all seem to fall under "bachelor of science". Does that inheritly mean these degrees are basically the same? I'd really love to specialize in agriculture for personal interest but it seems so far off from being anything "medically related" haha. Alternatively from a HIGH GPA perspective, if they are all the same why would anyone pick BioMed over something easier like enviormental science? Surely medical schools can't just look at a BioMedical science graduate as equal to someone from Enviornmental sciences can they? Wondering if I will regret moving from a more "prestigious" program that I worked hard in high school to get into, to an (ignore my ignorance) easier program like Environement/Agriculture. Love to get your thoughts on this!

Cheers,

Victor 

At a broad level, each school says every degree is held equal, no matter what. However, each school has individual requirements.

UoT, uOttawa have very specific course requirements, so you may need to see how it fits into particular course requirements for getting your degree

Western has specifications for the number courses that can be taken from certain year levels (e.g. must take 3+ FCEs at the 3rd year+ level) 

While yes, many programs are more difficult to accomplish than others, there's no way each medical school has the resources to individually screen each person's degree program and assess the level of difficulty. New programs are launched all the time at schools as well, adding to the complexity. 

Simply, if you take Biomedical Sciences, or Environmental Sciences, they will not be viewed differently. 

Archived