Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dryorku

What should I do this summer to improve my app?

Stats: 4th year UG, 520 (128 CARS) MCAT, expected to graduate this April with a cGPA of 3.87. wGPA varies I've kept a full course load through my 4 years including this one.

My ECs are, in general, very bland: full-time research for one summer (4 months), research assistant for 2 years, hospital volunteering, a little bit of pharmacy volunteering. The only exceptional volunteering is being a volunteer coordinator for an organization at my university. It's a science outreach organization and I know it makes an impact on our community. I spend many hours a week on it as well as take on more stress than I'd like. Unfortunately, sometimes I'm 3 hours deep into going through spreadsheets on a Saturday and the thought comes into my head: "this is just one entry in my ABS " -- it's a bad thought, i know. I should be doing it because I love it -- which I do... but it's still just one entry in my ABS.

I think I need to do more, particularly unique and community-centered volunteering.

Any advice or suggestions on the direction I should take?

Look at the CANMEDs roles and think about how your experiences reflect those competencies. Whichever competencies you feel your experiences do not reflect as strongly, pursue opportunities along those lines. Upon a brief perusal of your post, you might benefit from some more leadership activities, of 1+ year duration being generally preferable. Med apps are also a lot about knowing how to write your ABS entries well. Visit your career centre for 1 on 1 help with resume and personal letter writing, which will give you the same tools to successful craft an ABS and personal essays for med apps. You don't need a ton of ABS entries, it's a lot more about how you write about them and the community impact they have IMO.

Otherwise, CARS score isn't stellar but should be more than adequate at most schools, total MCAT is great, cGPA and wGPA should not hold you back as you are close enough to the 3.9+ that is generally recommended. Remember, GPA > MCAT >> ECs. You've set yourself up pretty well numbers-wise which is where most people dig themselves into a hole that can be very difficult to get out of. If you're just looking at strengthening your ECs, that's more-so a function of time and relatively easier in comparison.

2 hours ago, freewheeler said:

Look at the CANMEDs roles and think about how your experiences reflect those competencies. Whichever competencies you feel your experiences do not reflect as strongly, pursue opportunities along those lines. Upon a brief perusal of your post, you might benefit from some more leadership activities, of 1+ year duration being generally preferable. Med apps are also a lot about knowing how to write your ABS entries well. Visit your career centre for 1 on 1 help with resume and personal letter writing, which will give you the same tools to successful craft an ABS and personal essays for med apps. You don't need a ton of ABS entries, it's a lot more about how you write about them and the community impact they have IMO.

Otherwise, CARS score isn't stellar but should be more than adequate at most schools, total MCAT is great, cGPA and wGPA should not hold you back as you are close enough to the 3.9+ that is generally recommended. Remember, GPA > MCAT >> ECs. You've set yourself up pretty well numbers-wise which is where most people dig themselves into a hole that can be very difficult to get out of. If you're just looking at strengthening your ECs, that's more-so a function of time and relatively easier in comparison.

Thank you, first thing I'm doing after midterms this week is looking into CANMEDs roles and then searching volunteertoronto.ca. I'm trying to think, off the top of my head, of accessible leadership volunteer positions. I can only think of something like a coach for a youth sports team. But I'm not athletic. Most other volunteer opps are done under a supervisor. Do you have any examples off the top of your head?