Premed 101 Forums

Moving to Newfoundland worth it?

So I am a 4th year applicant from Ontario with a GPA around 3.9 and an MCAT score of 512, with 125 in CARS. Unfortunately, due to the intense competition my stats are considered significantly below average and I have not received a single interview this cycle. I am debating if I should move out of province to increase my chances of getting accepted somewhere, and moving to Newfoundland is one of my options. Do any of you have any ideas or suggestions about this? Do you think that this is a viable strategy to get into medical school? And if anyone has done this before, then I would certainly love to receive some advice. Thank you! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2019 at 4:52 PM, Chels1267 said:

I feel like NB would be better, you'd get IP status at Dal and I believe MUN also reserves some seats for people from NB?

There are 30 Dal seats in Saint John and 10 seats at MUN (St. John's) for NBers (NB Population 770k)

There are 60 seats at MUN for NFLD students (NFLD population 525k)

• 5 weeks later...

According to Memorial Med's website, they want "bona fide" residents of Newfoundland to be selected in their class. So would it be a massive disadvantage for me to let's say, move to Newfoundland, live there for a year, get resident status, and then apply as a Newfoundland resident the next cycle? Admissions would find that I wouldn't be genuine, and I just moved solely for the purpose of getting IP seats. All I want is to get into med, but I'm open to staying in Newfoundland as a physician. 

https://www.med.mun.ca/getdoc/c0bc7076-f003-4680-8a9f-c845c0025b55/Newfoundland---Labrador.aspx

38 minutes ago, DrMeme said:

According to Memorial Med's website, they want "bona fide" residents of Newfoundland to be selected in their class. So would it be a massive disadvantage for me to let's say, move to Newfoundland, live there for a year, get resident status, and then apply as a Newfoundland resident the next cycle? Admissions would find that I wouldn't be genuine, and I just moved solely for the purpose of getting IP seats. All I want is to get into med, but I'm open to staying in Newfoundland as a physician. 

https://www.med.mun.ca/getdoc/c0bc7076-f003-4680-8a9f-c845c0025b55/Newfoundland---Labrador.aspx

But being willing to move and uproot yourself is not a small thing, and could be enough to prove yourself. Of course you moved for IP seats, but theres more to it than that. Get involved in the community, set some roots etc.  

Uprooting yourself and living in a completely different community is a big commitment. Don’t underestimate the impact of culture shock and the lack of social supports (unless you already have friends and family there). You would also need to keep yourself occupied for a year while you wait for your application cycle. 

Best of luck!