Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Yellowhead

McGill Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy (qualifying year)

Recommended Posts

On 5/18/2019 at 12:57 AM, Anonyme123 said:

I've been wait listed since April 12. I've been reading that people just got waitlisted this month. What does that mean?

Hey, I’m in the same situation than you, I applied for PT but am waitlisted since April... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ju_OT17 said:

Does anyone know how big the BSc (OT) at McGill class is? Just curious to know how big the MScA class can get after the QY is done.

It's supposed to be 35 entering QYOT, and 35 from the BSc program, so a total of 70! We will all be together for courses in QY I believe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McGill PT applicants, future and current students:

Does anyone know if the 26-month long program affects when you can start practicing? I'm almost certain that PT students coming out of Ontario schools write their final licensing exams in the Fall after Year 2. Considering that McGill students are finishing their last placement in September and October of Year 3 (month 25 and 26 of the program), are they having to write later? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, 

For those planning on attending QY for OT - what made you choose McGill? I'm like... 75% sure I'll choose McGill but I'm also considering U of T. So just curious about what you guys liked specifically about McGill's program. :)

 

Thanks! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 9:09 AM, Mo.Physio said:

McGill PT applicants, future and current students:

Does anyone know if the 26-month long program affects when you can start practicing? I'm almost certain that PT students coming out of Ontario schools write their final licensing exams in the Fall after Year 2. Considering that McGill students are finishing their last placement in September and October of Year 3 (month 25 and 26 of the program), are they having to write later? 

you can practice in November 1 right away if you stay in the quebec area. If you move back to another province that requires the national exam to be completed (Nov 17) you can still work with a temporary license until you get your results back. 

It is the same situation for the ones in Ontario since the national exam is nov 17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBirdo said:

Hey, 

For those planning on attending QY for OT - what made you choose McGill? I'm like... 75% sure I'll choose McGill but I'm also considering U of T. So just curious about what you guys liked specifically about McGill's program. :)

 

Thanks! 

 

There's lots to consider, like living accommodation and placements. If your French is strong, finding a placement/job may be easier in Montreal as it's quite saturated in the GTA. I didn't hear the best things about UofT program from the general forum but it's up to whatever would be the best for you. Hope this helps! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, McGillOT said:

There's lots to consider, like living accommodation and placements. If your French is strong, finding a placement/job may be easier in Montreal as it's quite saturated in the GTA. I didn't hear the best things about UofT program from the general forum but it's up to whatever would be the best for you. Hope this helps! 

Yeah lots of factors for sure. Good point about placements. I also feel like placements at McGill might be easier to get to since it's smaller than all of GTA - but that's just a feeling. What's the name of the general forum? Just the accepted/waitlist/declined forum? I'm interested in what others have to say. 

Thanks!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheBirdo said:

Yeah lots of factors for sure. Good point about placements. I also feel like placements at McGill might be easier to get to since it's smaller than all of GTA - but that's just a feeling. What's the name of the general forum? Just the accepted/waitlist/declined forum? I'm interested in what others have to say. 

Thanks!!! :)

If you don't know French it could be harder but it'll work out. I heard someone tell me there's lots of jobs there too. 

Yeah that's the forum! You should ask there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McGillOT said:

If you don't know French it could be harder but it'll work out. I heard someone tell me there's lots of jobs there too. 

Yeah that's the forum! You should ask there too. 

Yeah my French is okay, could be better but... good enough, haha. Good to know about jobs! 

Thanks :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some questions for a future applicant:

Is there an interview process for OT QY? I saw some old comments saying there was an MMI style interview

For the video portion of the application: what did you guys include in your video? Trying to gauge what is important

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, otpt123 said:

Some questions for a future applicant:

Is there an interview process for OT QY? I saw some old comments saying there was an MMI style interview

For the video portion of the application: what did you guys include in your video? Trying to gauge what is important

Thanks!

No interview. For the video, just answer the questions they want from you. If you have a written statement, I would recommend taking the answers from that, making a script and having that on the screen while recording. I used my crappy Webcam and it worked fine. Make sure you stay under the time! If you want to know specifically how I made mine you can dm me. Also make sure to fill out what courses you did in the past because they'll give you extra points for those. Good luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys!

For those admitted to McGill's PT QY, are you also not able to register for PHTH 550 and 551? When I try to register it says some sections are full so it won't let me register for these courses at all. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For OCC1 545, there are the following components on minerva: lecture, lab, workshop, seminar. 

After registering, it shows:

lecture 3x/week

lab 2x/week

seminar 2x/week

workshop 3x/week.

 

Are lab, seminar, and workshop really this many times per week, or will we just be assigned one of the possible sessions per week?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...