Premed 101 Forums

Ontarian applying to Quebec

DrMeme

Bonjour,

I have a couple of questions regarding Quebec medical schools, since there's not that much info out there. I am fully fluent in French btw, so I should have no problems with interviews etc...

1. Can Ontarians apply? And specifically what are the chances? Would they be much better if I was to gain IP status in Quebec?

2. How would my grades be calculated? I know McGill uses GPA, but the others (Laval, Sherbrooke and U de M) use a CRU. Would they use my GPA or convert my grades to a CRU? Also, what are the GPA weightings for each school?

3. If I remember properly, only grades and MMI scores are used in admission for the French MD schools, right? They don't care about ECs.

18 minutes ago, DrMeme said:

Bonjour,

I have a couple of questions regarding Quebec medical schools, since there's not that much info out there. I am fully fluent in French btw, so I should no problems with interviews etc...

1. Can Ontarians apply? And specifically what are the chances? Would they be much better if I was to gain IP status in Quebec?

ONtarians can apply (and are accepted), but your chances are better as IP in Quebec.

2. How would my grades be calculated? I know McGill uses GPA, but the others (Laval, Sherbrooke and U de M) use a CRU. Would they use my GPA or convert my grades to a CRU?

Others will chime in, but my understanding is a CRU is used at the others.  Unless your degree program is related to the health sciences (e.g. pharma, physio, dentistry, kinesiology..) or another professional degree (like law) your CRU may not be that high.  A university degree in biology, for example, even with a near perfect GPA may not be enough to get an interview.  The CRU is roughly based on the selectivity of the program that you're in, as judged by the particular university.  For example biochemistry at UdeM may be rated highly but not at the others.  Generally speaking, it's more difficult to get in through university since most of the spots are for CEGEP entrants.

3. If I remember properly, only grades and MMI scores are used in admission for the French MD schools, right? They don't care about ECs.

Yes.  The one exception is "special contingents" - people who have been on the workforce or who have a different profile (like grad work, etc..).

Archived