Premed 101 Forums

Radiology elective expectations

I am in considering applying for an elective in diagnostic radiology.

In general, what is the day-to-day of a clerk on a diagnostic radiology elective? Do you read images and write a report to submit to your preceptor, or do you sit beside your preceptor and interpret together, or is it more of an observership style experience?

Thank you

51 minutes ago, klamar said:

In general, what is the day-to-day of a clerk on a diagnostic radiology elective?

Stay awake in a dark room during the day and read at home if you feel like it. If you tell them you're interested in surgery, they'll probably be more receptive to putting you on with staff/residents relevant to your field (e.g. gen surg with abdominal imagers, neuro surg with neurorads, etc.)

Do you read images and write a report to submit to your preceptor, or do you sit beside your preceptor and interpret together, or is it more of an observership style experience?

Some schools let you do the former, but only with some preceptors and only if they have time to do it. Most of it is going to be the latter, especially if you aren't interested in pursuing radiology. Also, there are a few schools that have example cases that you can read and review with your preceptor.

Radiology is probably one of the hardest electives if you want to find an active role.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how the new restrictions on electives work with regards to number of weeks, but I would do as many as possible in your interested field (provided you aren't applying to be a generalist/primary care). Unfortunately, electives are not a time to "learn" as much as you want it to be that. It is a time to stand out clinically and make connections. Use your selective time or post-carms clinical time to learn radiology if you are interested. Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend post-carms for radiology. Honestly, you don't learn much and it would probably be a waste of your pre-carms time to do it. Not sure if you are in the class with the limited elective time, but if you are going to do one outside your field of interest I would recommend a related surgical specialty or ICU. You will learn more on those electives than on radiology.

Archived