Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
klamar

Radiology elective expectations

I am in considering applying for an elective in diagnostic radiology. All of my other electives are in surgery and I'd like to do surgery but I think radiology would be helpful for learning.

In general, what is the day-to-day of a clerk on a diagnostic radiology elective? Do you read images and write a report to submit to your preceptor, or do you sit beside your preceptor and interpret together, or is it more of an observership style experience?

Thank you

51 minutes ago, klamar said:

In general, what is the day-to-day of a clerk on a diagnostic radiology elective?

Stay awake in a dark room during the day and read at home if you feel like it. If you tell them you're interested in surgery, they'll probably be more receptive to putting you on with staff/residents relevant to your field (e.g. gen surg with abdominal imagers, neuro surg with neurorads, etc.)

Do you read images and write a report to submit to your preceptor, or do you sit beside your preceptor and interpret together, or is it more of an observership style experience?

Some schools let you do the former, but only with some preceptors and only if they have time to do it. Most of it is going to be the latter, especially if you aren't interested in pursuing radiology. Also, there are a few schools that have example cases that you can read and review with your preceptor.

Radiology is probably one of the hardest electives if you want to find an active role.