Premed 101 Forums

6th year undergraduate, got rejected, wondering what next steps should be

Hi all,  

I'm currently in my 6th year of undergrad.  I picked up an additional degree during my 5th year because my main issue was my GPA (very uncompetitive GPA through years 1-4).  I finally reached a 3.7 in my 5th year (cutoff for Western SWOMEN) and I am currently above cutoff (or it appears that I'll be above cutoff) when I finish this year.  I understand that my GPA isn't the most competitive at the moment, but from what I heard it can qualify for Western SWOMEN.  I'll have to rewrite my MCAT again this summer (was off by one point overall; appears to be the reason for my rejection from Western as they stated in the email).  I'm wondering what my next step should be.  I'm weighing out the options between 1) applying for a masters, unsure whether research or course based will be better 2) doing another year of undergrad/special year or 3) applying abroad.  My main goal is to increase my chances in getting into medical school next year (applying fall of 2019).  I have zero preference on which medical school in Ontario but from my limited research, it appears that Western is my best bet.  Wondering what my next step should be... Any advice? 

Archived