Premed 101 Forums

Accepted 2019

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 2017, offers were sent out on March 14. In 2018, it was March 5th. I don't know for certain, but I heard that earlier than 2017 admissions decisions were usually sent out mid-March. Based on last year, I'm going to guess March 4th this year, the first Monday...if it's not good news though I'll wish it came later, I'm sure! What are other people's estimates? 

Waiting for this later always makes March a kind of stressful month. You never know what day it's coming. I've been working on a plan for where to go to open it and what to do either way. 

1 hour ago, seatosea said:

In 2017, offers were sent out on March 14. In 2018, it was March 5th. I don't know for certain, but I heard that earlier than 2017 admissions decisions were usually sent out mid-March. Based on last year, I'm going to guess March 4th this year, the first Monday...if it's not good news though I'll wish it came later, I'm sure! What are other people's estimates? 

Waiting for this later always makes March a kind of stressful month. You never know what day it's coming. I've been working on a plan for where to go to open it and what to do either way. 

What are your plans for where and what to do

4 hours ago, Chels1267 said:

I've applied before and it was around the 17th. I think the reduced number of applications last year explains the early decision, wouldn't necessarily expect them that early this year unless numbers are still down.

Yep, my year it was Mar 17th. This was back in 2015.

23 hours ago, Chels1267 said:

I've applied before and it was around the 17th. I think the reduced number of applications last year explains the early decision, wouldn't necessarily expect them that early this year unless numbers are still down.

That would make sense. Do you know what the application numbers were for 2016 and 2017? :-) I can only find last year's statistics (https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/about/class-profile.html). Also do you happen to know if the reduced numbers were across all applicants, or some subset (I know for example NB had fewer applicants than normal last year)? 

21 hours ago, getrich said:

What are your plans for where and what to do

Good question. The first year I applied (waitlisted), I went to a good friend's office and we opened it together. The second year (also waitlisted), I just opened it at my desk. To be honest, since it came earlier than I was expecting I was kind of taken aback and just opened it without thinking last year. Since I was waitlisted, I really didn't want to be around coworkers at the time and found it pretty stressful. That made me think I should make a plan for this year. 

This year, I was thinking of going somewhere like the library and looking for a quiet reclusive spot, but then my friend offered to open it again with me and it would be really nice to have someone supportive there. As to what happens after I get the result, I'm not sure yet. I'm not sure I'll be able to focus on work either way, and I can think of lots of things to do if it's good news. If it's bad, I don't know a good antidote yet for disappointment! Possibly find a nice cafe and hide out for a bit. 

I would love to know if other people have plans or ideas for how to open and handle the news if it's both good or not so good! 

1 hour ago, seatosea said:

That would make sense. Do you know what the application numbers were for 2016 and 2017? :-) I can only find last year's statistics (https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/about/class-profile.html). Also do you happen to know if the reduced numbers were across all applicants, or some subset (I know for example NB had fewer applicants than normal last year)? 

I don't recall 2016 but I believe 2017 was around 1100 total, so a drop of about 100 in 2018. I don't remember the break down by applicant pool. 

3 hours ago, seatosea said:

Here's a screenshot I took a few months ago of stats I found from a document on the Dal website. I've tried to look for it again to link the whole thing and I cannot find it for the life of me. 

stats.png

3 hours ago, seatosea said:

Good question. The first year I applied (waitlisted), I went to a good friend's office and we opened it together. The second year (also waitlisted), I just opened it at my desk. To be honest, since it came earlier than I was expecting I was kind of taken aback and just opened it without thinking last year. Since I was waitlisted, I really didn't want to be around coworkers at the time and found it pretty stressful. That made me think I should make a plan for this year. 

This year, I was thinking of going somewhere like the library and looking for a quiet reclusive spot, but then my friend offered to open it again with me and it would be really nice to have someone supportive there. As to what happens after I get the result, I'm not sure yet. I'm not sure I'll be able to focus on work either way, and I can think of lots of things to do if it's good news. If it's bad, I don't know a good antidote yet for disappointment! Possibly find a nice cafe and hide out for a bit. 

I would love to know if other people have plans or ideas for how to open and handle the news if it's both good or not so good! 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinking about how to open it haha :) I've decided to open it when I get home. If it's an acceptance, I'll end up calling family & friends to spread the good news. If it's a rejection, then I'd prefer to be alone for a little while. I really hope you get in this year! 

3 hours ago, premed_67 said:

Here's a screenshot I took a few months ago of stats I found from a document on the Dal website. I've tried to look for it again to link the whole thing and I cannot find it for the life of me. 

stats.png

Thank you so much for posting that! Smart idea to take a screen shot :-) 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinking about how to open it haha :) I've decided to open it when I get home. If it's an acceptance, I'll end up calling family & friends to spread the good news. If it's a rejection, then I'd prefer to be alone for a little while. I really hope you get in this year! 

I hope you get in, too! Fingers crossed :-) 

Yeah, I think it's a great idea you have to wait until getting home. I think there's something to be said for waiting for the adrenaline rush of the initial email to calm down a bit before opening the actual letter, so maybe I'll wait for a while as well. I think I'll still open it with my friend, I found when I got waitlisted the second time it was super stressful and I felt pretty alone, so having company of someone I know really well might be comforting if the news isn't good. 

It's interesting looking at the application numbers, but I realized it still leaves so much in the dark. I didn't expect to even get an interview the first year I applied, and was shocked to get waitlisted. The second year I worked really hard to improve my application and my score went up, but I bombed the interview compared to my first year applying. I would so fascinated to see a detailed breakdown of my scores as well as all the application information, but I guess those things are kept confidential for a reason! 

https://cdn.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/pdf/faculty/medicine/faculty-council/annual-meeting/2017 A-A Deans Reports to Faculty.pdf

The table in the screenshot is on page 29...

31 minutes ago, hopefullyafuturedoc said:

do we know for sure it's one week? should someone ask admissions? or has someone already?

I called them today and they just said they aim to release mid March and that they don't have a date set :/ so it could be in one week or a few weeks... who knows

Yeah, who knows what day it will be! I've got to say, with it being the last day of February, I feel some anxiety and I wonder if other people are in a similar boat. Getting waitlisted the past two years was incredibly stressful, mainly because when figuring out other plans I couldn't 100% commit to them and had to let people know I was waitlisted. It feels like your future is super unknown. Today being the last day of February I noticed i woke up feeling a kind of heavy residual stress from March of 2018 and 2017. Lots of support to everyone else as March comes, I hope you have excellent ways to stay calm waiting for your letter and that you get the news you want <3 

19 minutes ago, Slickrick said:

What were the changes?

Not sure if this is everything, but they dropped the MCAT requirement for NS / NB / PEI applicants back down to 499 from 503.

Taking a look at the total number of Maritime applicants in past years, you can see that they probably want to widen the net.

2019-02-28_14h57_03.jpg

Archived