Premed 101 Forums

How are my chances?

Hi,

I hope everyone that finished interviews get some good news soon. I'm planning on applying to Dal next cycle and I wanted to know how i would fare. I skimmed the previous threads but I wanted some constructive feedback on where I can improve. Thank you for your time.

Stats:

IP status 

cGPA: 3.6

Best 2Yr: 3.9 (if i finished undergrad do they look at best 2 or last 3, the website gives different ways to calculate it)

MCAT: 510 (126)

ECs:

Employment:

• Soccer Referee: 2 Years, Intramurals and Competitive Games
  • Office Assistant: 3 Years, involved in daily administrative work and customer service

Volunteer:

• Hospital Volunteering: 4 years, 250+ Hours
  • Academic Mentor: 1 Year, 150 hours
  • Youth soccer coach: 700 hrs

ECs:

• TaeKwon Doe Black belt: Took me 5 years to get, almost 1400+ hrs of training
  • Taekwondoe instructor: 500hrs
  • Rep soccer player: 1200hrs
  • Science and Math Tutor: 200+ hours, I like to teach, so I just do this for fun.

From the previous discussion threads I saw, I figured I need some research experience so hopefully I attempting to get an opportunity for it later this summer. 

Also, I heard for the application only looks at only the last 5 years for EC but some of my activities I finished back in 2014, how strict are they about this rule? 

Thank you once again. 

1 hour ago, Kalbod1 said:

They take either your last 2 years or best 3 years

and your activities look fine to me!  MCAT is solid too

But, to be perfectly honest, no one, and I mean no one, besides people on the Admissions Committee know how to properly score extra curricular/volunteer things. Different admission committee for different med schools would all give you different scores too. it's very random. 

tldr: you're fine and don't worry about it, good luck next year

Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree with the ECs, its a black box and its best to continue what I like doing. 

18 hours ago, wingingit said:

Hi,

I hope everyone that finished interviews get some good news soon. I'm planning on applying to Dal next cycle and I wanted to know how i would fare. I skimmed the previous threads but I wanted some constructive feedback on where I can improve. Thank you for your time.

Stats:

IP status 

cGPA: 3.6

Best 2Yr: 3.9 (if i finished undergrad do they look at best 2 or last 3, the website gives different ways to calculate it)

MCAT: 510 (126)

ECs:

Employment:

• Soccer Referee: 2 Years, Intramurals and Competitive Games
  • Office Assistant: 3 Years, involved in daily administrative work and customer service

Volunteer:

• Hospital Volunteering: 4 years, 250+ Hours
  • Academic Mentor: 1 Year, 150 hours
  • Youth soccer coach: 700 hrs

ECs:

• TaeKwon Doe Black belt: Took me 5 years to get, almost 1400+ hrs of training
  • Taekwondoe instructor: 500hrs
  • Rep soccer player: 1200hrs
  • Science and Math Tutor: 200+ hours, I like to teach, so I just do this for fun.

From the previous discussion threads I saw, I figured I need some research experience so hopefully I attempting to get an opportunity for it later this summer. 

Also, I heard for the application only looks at only the last 5 years for EC but some of my activities I finished back in 2014, how strict are they about this rule? 

Thank you once again. 

You only have 7 spots to list activities under the main categories (extracurricular, volunteer, work, awards) so if you use one of those 7 spots for something outside the 5 years it'll be a waste.

Archived