Premed 101 Forums

University of Saskatchewan Invites/Regrets 2019

2 hours ago, saskdent009 said:

Did anyone else notice that they introduced a tuition differential for OOP students for this upcoming year? I feel like that recently just showed up.

IP Pay 53K

OOP Pay 70K

That’s why some applicants I know are not even going to bother with the interview. A lower ranking dental school (relative in canada) charging 20k more than UofT, just rofl...

2 hours ago, dentut2023 said:

That’s why some applicants I know are not even going to bother with the interview. A lower ranking dental school (relative in canada) charging 20k more than UofT, just rofl...

Better to have an acceptance than none. 

But at 70k, you may as well go to Australia and pay a bit more to live in an nice place and travel than be in Saskatchewan.

1 hour ago, JohnGrisham said:

But at 70k, you may as well go to Australia and pay a bit more to live in an nice place and travel than be in Saskatchewan.

That’s definitely true, it just a bit iffy for me personally seeing a not top tier Canadian school differentiating Canadian students and charging OOP as high as 70k. 

19 minutes ago, dentut2023 said:

That’s definitely true, it just a bit iffy for me personally seeing a not top tier Canadian school differentiating Canadian students and charging OOP as high as 70k. 

If you can make more money, then why not? Schools dont care. Their argument will be that OOP less likely to stay, so charge them more for the govt funding indirectly blah blah.

2 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Nice weather, yes, but you’re shutting down your chances of working in the USA if you choose to. I would never pick Australia over Sask even if it was cheaper.

7 minutes ago, Crc said:

Nice weather, yes, but you’re shutting down your chances of working in the USA if you choose to. I would never pick Australia over Sask even if it was cheaper.

Very true, though if you know youll stay in Canada anyways its a moot point. Vast majority of Canadians in medicine/dentistry...ultimately want to work in Canada.

Saskatchewan has typically been associated with having a strong bias towards their own residents, so it doesn't surprise me. Just judging by the scholarships, its quite easy to notice. Most of the scholarships and bursaries are oriented towards long term residents with agricultural backgrounds or from rural locations. 

On another note, since there are 34 seats, 22 of which are for SK residents and 6 for Aboriginal, does that leave only 6 for OOP? Do they typically fill the unfilled Aboriginal seats with OOP or IP applicants?

11 minutes ago, saskdent009 said:

Saskatchewan has typically been associated with having a strong bias towards their own residents, so it doesn't surprise me. Just judging by the scholarships, its quite easy to notice. Most of the scholarships and bursaries are oriented towards long term residents with agricultural backgrounds or from rural locations. 

On another note, since there are 34 seats, 22 of which are for SK residents and 6 for Aboriginal, does that leave only 6 for OOP? Do they typically fill the unfilled Aboriginal seats with OOP or IP applicants?

They fill it with a combination of both. The current 1st and 2nd year class doesn't have all their aboriginal seats filled I'm pretty sure. 

Edit: Class of 2022 is 34 people, has 12 OOP. Class of 2021 is 28 people, has 8 OOP. 

Also "higher ranking dental schools" doesn't matter that much, you all write the same boards. Study hard, work hard and it'll pay off. 

But yes, the usual deterrence is because people don't like SK. 

Edited by Throwawayawayaway2019
Added more info.

2 minutes ago, Throwawayawayaway2019 said:

They fill it with a combination of both. The current 1st and 2nd year class doesn't have all their aboriginal seats filled I'm pretty sure. 

Interesting...these guys are pretty damn vague with their admission statistics. They don't indicate how many interviews they do either or how many people get accepted in each category.

Anybody who has received an interview invite here want to get together to prep for the MMI?

1 hour ago, saskdent009 said:

Interesting...these guys are pretty damn vague with their admission statistics. They don't indicate how many interviews they do either or how many people get accepted in each category.

Anybody who has received an interview invite here want to get together to prep for the MMI?

I’d be down to practice for the interviews. Are you located in Saskatoon?

2 hours ago, Braceface25 said:

OOP

GPA: 3.97

DAT: 20 AA 21 RC 19 PAT

Result: Invite

Questions:

1) Is there anyone from these forums who have attended or currently attending UofS?

2) Anyone know about the schedule of the interview day?

3) Anyone know about the structure of the MMI? How many stations? 

They should tell you in the email all of this info, also the college website should have the info too. 

2 hours ago, idekanymore said:

I’d be down to practice for the interviews. Are you located in Saskatoon?

Yes I go to Usask currently. I'm on campus M-F. PM me and we can schedule something. 

Anybody have any info about the Mock MMI Medicine session that is usually in March. Is it worth going for practice for the dental MMI?

On 2/23/2019 at 12:41 PM, dentut2023 said:

I have thought our college was pretty prestigious and I've been very proud of it ahaha