Premed 101 Forums

Moving to US to practice after residency in Canada

Hi everyone, 

I am currently an R4 at one of the Canadian universities in GI. I am planning to move to US after finishing residency for family reasons and  have a bunch of questions. Any advice from anyone who has had experience with this switch would be very appreciated since I can’t find details about the process easily on the web. 

Here’s my dilemma- the Canadian GI programs are all 2 years (as are many other specialty programs) instead of 3 years in the US. In order to be eligible to write the ABIM subspecialty exams we have to do an extra 3rd year in a Canadian or US accredited program. Now it seems like most of the 3rd year specialization programs are not actually accredited (I was surprised to see that programs at some big schools like John Hopkins were not actually formally accredited). So I’m trying to figure out where to find these accredited programs unless they do accept nonacredited programs under special consideration. If they don’t, then it seems very diffucult for Canadian fellows to practice in US at all which doesn’t make sense and I’m not sure why they would do that. 

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of situation, making the switch from Canada to US after residency? 

Thank so much guys!

13 hours ago, SoundEffect said:

Hi everyone, 

I am currently an R4 at one of the Canadian universities in GI. I am planning to move to US after finishing residency for family reasons and  have a bunch of questions. Any advice from anyone who has had experience with this switch would be very appreciated since I can’t find details about the process easily on the web. 

Here’s my dilemma- the Canadian GI programs are all 2 years (as are many other specialty programs) instead of 3 years in the US. In order to be eligible to write the ABIM subspecialty exams we have to do an extra 3rd year in a Canadian or US accredited program. Now it seems like most of the 3rd year specialization programs are not actually accredited (I was surprised to see that programs at some big schools like John Hopkins were not actually formally accredited). So I’m trying to figure out where to find these accredited programs unless they do accept nonacredited programs under special consideration. If they don’t, then it seems very diffucult for Canadian fellows to practice in US at all which doesn’t make sense and I’m not sure why they would do that. 

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of situation, making the switch from Canada to US after residency? 

Thank so much guys!

There was another thread exactly on this, try the search function to find it :) I believe the result of the posters info was that you could take the unaccredited 3rd year of fellowship and be eligible to write the boards - but check for yourself!

13 hours ago, SoundEffect said:

Hi everyone, 

Thank so much guys!

my mans knows whats good and is tryna cop the ferrari or lambo....

Archived