Premed 101 Forums

Interview weight?

U of A has changed their process so nobody has a clue how much GPA, MCAT, interview, or casper factor into your final scores for admission. If anything, my guess is that the interview is worth >30% now though, since many schools seem to be moving in the direction of increasing weight of the interview.

• 3 weeks later...

Trust me when I say it that it can weigh 1% for all that matters... it's still more than enough to push even those in the bottom of the invite list to an acceptance (I certainly was). 

I think people forget sometimes that grades, ECs, and MCAT variation is so low but the interview is truly where the great divide happens. Plenty of strong applicants can get rejected if they don't know how to speak to people (there's plenty of that too). 

In my year they interviewed ~480 for 162 seats. 

- G 

To sort of break this down further, anyone who has gone through the Panel can they shed some light on the style of conversation. Obviously MMI is situational each station tests different things. Is panel more focused on getting to know you and your path to medicine so far? Was it open file? Also, do you think your panel and MMI score is weighed evenly? 

Thanks in advance! 

1 hour ago, dehindu said:

To sort of break this down further, anyone who has gone through the Panel can they shed some light on the style of conversation. Obviously MMI is situational each station tests different things. Is panel more focused on getting to know you and your path to medicine so far? Was it open file? Also, do you think your panel and MMI score is weighed evenly? 

Thanks in advance! 

Can't speak to most of your questions but the panel is open file for sure!

10 minutes ago, adhominem said:

Are you sure? They 100% did not have my entire application in front of them last year. 

I've also been told the panel is open file and this is what the email said: 

"Please note that anything you have included in your application may be discussed with you during the interview process. We recommend that you review your application prior to arrival."

49 minutes ago, medbruh said:

I've also been told the panel is open file and this is what the email said: 

"Please note that anything you have included in your application may be discussed with you during the interview process. We recommend that you review your application prior to arrival."

Do you think this is pertinent to panel only, or maybe MMI as well? Would be surprised with an open file MMI.... 

Archived