Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'

But yeah, everyone will always feel they could have answered something differently. They are not looking for the right answer, they are looking for your personality and how you think. You should be proud, this is a huge milestone and you DID IT. :D

I interviewed in the French Stream and my pannel was SO NICE. I was kinda shocked because I heard in the past that they were "poker face" but the two members from the faculty and the med student were smiling and nodding at my answers. Hopefully that was a good sign, but you never know, they were probably nice to everyone that day. Wishing you all luck! and hopefully we get to do that silly MED-1 video together next year.

Just now, KeyzerSoze said:

I'm starting to notice a trend. @PlasticSurg has completed his/her undergrad. You've already done two, so I'm assuming you're both at least mid 20's. A few other posts I've read about interviewers being nice were also from older applicants. Perhaps interviewers are a bit more friendly to non-trads/older applicants.

That’s interesting. Maybe that’s still just chance? From those that have gap years/non-trad, was this something you emphasized? 

some panels are nice, others are not. They usually are consistent throughout the day, so if you get a stone cold panel they will be like that for every one, if they're nice they tend to be nice all day. This topic has been mentioned for many years on here lol. Just try and continue living life, you got through such a huge hoop to get here, now the final waiting game :).

I can assure you this is definitely false. I’m older/non-trad and my panel was cold last year. 

To be honest, you shouldn’t overthink a nice/cold panel. They serve different purposes. 

Cold panels can make you feel stressed and they want to see how you respond to that. Friendly/warm panels can make you break professionalism and they, again, want to see how you respond to that.

31 minutes ago, KeyzerSoze said:

I really hope so. Cuz I’m feeling worse and worse about my interview a few days ago. They didn’t smile at all. When I was asking questions at the end I tried making a bit of small talk and they didn’t bite. At all. Yeah I’m not feeling too well lol. I’m thinking maybe I gave off a really bad vibe.

Last year I was just like you, I kept ruminating over my answers and beating myself up. I know it's so hard not to think about how you did, but try your best to do stuff to take your mind off of it.

Last year, I knew students who thought they did well post interview and didn't get in. While others thought they messed up completely and got in. It just shows how our post interview feelings are not necessarily an indication of how the interview actually went. 

Instead, congratulate yourself on completing the interview! You've made it this far. You should be proud of yourself for it! Best of luck in April and May!

It’s because of the way you’re ranked post-interview. 

People who place in a particular “bin” of an interview score are then ranked according to their GPA. 

Example: if the highest bin is a hypothetical 4.0, and your GPA is 4.0, you’ll be at the top of the acceptance list and acceptances are send in descending order until they exhausted that bin and go to the next one, where the highest GPAs are again chosen.

19 minutes ago, Monocyte said:

It’s because of the way you’re ranked post-interview. 

People who place in a particular “bin” of an interview score are then ranked according to their GPA. 

Example: if the highest bin is a hypothetical 4.0, and your GPA is 4.0, you’ll be at the top of the acceptance list and acceptances are send in descending order until they exhausted that bin and go to the next one, where the highest GPAs are again chosen. 

I know but technically couldn't someone with a 4.0 still be in a lower bin?

Yes. No one knows how many bins they go through, however, let's assume each bin has 50 candidates and your place within a bin has nothing to do with the stream to which you applied. 

They descend through the 50 until they exhausted that, then go through the next 50, then 50, then 14. That's 4 opportunities for people with 'higher' GPAs to get a call compared to the 3 opportunities for those with 'lower' GPAs because the 14 are those that rank the top of the list within that bin.

12 minutes ago, Monocyte said:

Yes. No one knows how many bins they go through, however, let's assume each bin has 50 candidates and your place within a bin has nothing to do with the stream to which you applied. 

They descend through the 50 until they exhausted that, then go through the next 50, then 50, then 14. That's 4 opportunities for people with 'higher' GPAs to get a call compared to the 3 opportunities for those with 'lower' GPAs because the 14 are those that rank the top of the list within that bin. 

Okay thank you!!

Archived