Premed 101 Forums

Hi,

I am a UofT  St George first year student looking forward to applying both Canadian and US Med Schools. May I get your kind help on addressing my following concerns:

1) Since I have to take 1 year full English, I am thinking to take a summer course at US University to fulfill the requirement. Do you think it may help to build my ties with US ? I do not want to take this course at my home University as I am afraid it will pull down my GPA. is there any comments from Canadian student at Ontario Universities who has taken summer course at US University for applying US med schools?    

2) Is it achievable to get A+ or A from UTSG English course like ENG1001G1? any recommendation on English course at UTSG that can help my GPA or at least not hurting it?

3) If I decide to take 1 full year English course at Ontario, can I take it at UofT Scarborough or Ryerson and submit the grade to US schools but not to Ontario schools? will it look odd?

3) is it doable to get a  A+  in UTSG organic chemistry? Do we need to take 1 full year of organic chemistry if we want to play safe in applying US med schools?  is there any course recommendation in organic chemistry at UTSG?

4) I took 2 phy/ 2chem/2 bio/2 math/psychology /sociology in my first year. Any suggestions in drafting my second /third/fourth years courses map to suit the US applications? any course recommendation on anatomy/biochem/physiology or things I have to be aware of?

5) I am thinking to choose Immunology or cell biology or global health as my major. In terms of achieving high GPA in UTSG, which one is a better choice. Is there any other majors that is more likely for one to achieve high GPA?

6) How can I get more premed support at UTSG? I feel there is not much advice in campus. Appreciate some UTSG alumni who have successfully got in US med schools would show me the light. 

Many thanks for your kind help. 

Couple of comments

1.  Each med school looks at GPA a little different.  UofT as example does not include summer courses in the Med school GPA calculation.  MAC on the other hand uses all courses. 

http://applymd.utoronto.ca/gpa-and-gpa-weighting

I doubt going to the USA for a summer English course will really have any affect on a USA application.

3.  You cannot suppress courses you took at Canadian schools.   The grade will be in OMSAS.       

Archived