Premed 101 Forums

Caution about DATbootcamp

Hey everyone,

So I took my DAT yesterday and for the most part, the test went fine. The section that really took me by surprise was the reading comprehension. On the DATBootcamp website, it says there are no difference between the American and Canadian DAT. So I trusted it. I went into the DAT yesterday assuming I would have 60 minutes like the bootcamp practice tests but I was shocked to learn that I only had 50 minutes to complete the reading section. Because of this I guessed on the last 8 questions which really made me upset because I think I could have done better had I known. :(

I suppose it was also an oversight on my part but it kind of sucks that DATBootcamp’s website has false statements on their website. I’m still hoping that my overall score comes back okay but I will most likely be writing the exam again. Is there anything I could do to salvage my reading scores from this DAT at this point?

Update: I have not heard anything from DATBootcamp, not even an apology. They've been trying to cover this up by updating their website but they still have lots of misleading information in order to lure students into purchasing their product. 

Update 2: I spoke to the CDA and they basically told me there's nothing they can do and to stay away from using DATBootcamp if I choose to rewrite the Canadian DAT. :( 

3 minutes ago, HopefulDDS said:

I think it's fairly normal to not finish the RC because it is only 50 minutes. I had approximately the same number of guesses and got a 20 for RC last year. I think as long as you are confident in the questions you don't guess you should have a decent score

Thanks that's very encouraging. I'm still upset how I was misled on such an important exam but I guess I just have to hope for the best at this point :(   

1 hour ago, TrueChen said:

Hey everyone,

So I took my DAT yesterday and for the most part, the test went fine. The section that really took me by surprise was the reading comprehension. On the DATBootcamp website, it says there are no difference between the American and Canadian DAT. So I trusted it. I went into the DAT yesterday assuming I would have 60 minutes like the bootcamp practice tests but I was shocked to learn that I only had 50 minutes to complete the reading section. Because of this I guessed on the last 8 questions which really made me upset because I think I could have done better had I known. :(

I suppose it was also an oversight on my part but it kind of sucks that DATBootcamp’s website has false statements on their website. I’m still hoping that my overall score comes back okay but I will most likely be writing the exam again. Is there anything I could do to salvage my reading scores from this DAT at this point?

Refer to: https://www.cda-adc.ca/en/becoming/dat/information/

If you are unsure of any information, as it outlines all the sections for you. 

1 hour ago, saskdent009 said:

Refer to: https://www.cda-adc.ca/en/becoming/dat/information/

If you are unsure of any information, as it outlines all the sections for you. 

Thank-you! I looked at that link and noticed that Bootcamp didn't even disclose that the Canadian DAT doesn't cover the same topics. According to that page, genetic technologies, microscopes, biomolecules, experimental embryology, or experimental cell biology aren't covered on the Canadian DAT but is covered on the American DAT. :(

Isn't it illegal for them to make false claims like this? 

I used DAT bootcamp for my DAT last year and it was NOT WORTH IT! Be cautious using it, a lot of information they stress you to learn is not even on the Canadian DAT. This year I used DAT Crusher instead and felt a lot more confident - hoping my results reflect this! Just 7 more weeks to go. 

2 hours ago, DentalNerdZ said:

I used DAT bootcamp for my DAT last year and it was NOT WORTH IT! Be cautious using it, a lot of information they stress you to learn is not even on the Canadian DAT. This year I used DAT Crusher instead and felt a lot more confident - hoping my results reflect this! Just 7 more weeks to go. 

I wouldn’t say that bootcamp was not worth it, it still provided a good amount of practice questions but i just think they could have been more transparent about the differences.

On 2/24/2019 at 7:54 PM, TrueChen said:

Thank-you! I looked at that link and noticed that Bootcamp didn't even disclose that the Canadian DAT doesn't cover the same topics. According to that page, genetic technologies, microscopes, biomolecules, experimental embryology, or experimental cell biology aren't covered on the Canadian DAT but is covered on the American DAT. :(

Isn't it illegal for them to make false claims like this? 

No problem, if you receive any conflicting info regarding the CDA website you can directly bring it up with them as they administer/procter/grade the exams. 

The Canadian DAT(cDAT)  is similar but different from the Amercan DAT, but that's not to say that there won't be a large overlap in material. I glanced over the DAT Bootcamp site and in the FAQs there is a question regarding whether his software can be used for the cDAT, Ari simply says that "sure we've had thousands of Canadians use our software and do well on the DAT, or something to that extent" which is not to say that it will be exactly suited to the cDAT. 

I personally used Crack the DAT and used the notes included for Bio and Chem in conjunction with the topics listed on the CDA site. If it helps, make sure you know meiosis and mitosis like you know how to breathe.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:55 PM, saskdent009 said:

No problem, if you receive any conflicting info regarding the CDA website you can directly bring it up with them as they administer/procter/grade the exams. Although they aren't the most helpful bunch of people, they will answer your questions conclusively. 

The Canadian DAT(cDAT)  is similar but different from the Amercan DAT, but that's not to say that there won't be a large overlap in material. I glanced over the DAT Bootcamp site and in the FAQs there is a question regarding whether his software can be used for the cDAT, Ari simply says that "sure we've had thousands of Canadians use our software and do well on the DAT, or something to that extent" which is not to say that it will be exactly suited to the cDAT. 

I personally used Crack the DAT and used the notes included for Bio and Chem in conjunction with the topics listed on the CDA site. If it helps, make sure you know meiosis and mitosis like you know how to breathe.

Well said but I can still see how Bootcamp is misleading. 

@TrueChen I'm sorry to hear what happened but why didn't you just use a Canadian Resource like DATCrusher? If you had done that you would have been better prepared. 

3 hours ago, TheGreatPiper said:

Well said but I can still see how Bootcamp is misleading. 

@TrueChen I'm sorry to hear what happened but why didn't you just use a Canadian Resource like DATCrusher? If you had done that you would have been better prepared. 

Definitely should be more upfront about this. Would love to see some more cDAT oriented prep materials also.

On 2/24/2019 at 5:10 PM, TrueChen said:

Hey everyone,

"The reading comprehension section on the Canadian DAT gives you 50 minutes to complete the 50 questions (the American DAT provides 60 minutes for the 50 questions). Though the Canadian DAT provides less time, completing this section on paper is easier than completing reading comprehension on the computer (which is why less time is given on the Canadian DAT)."    - DAT Bootcamp

^The above is directly quoted from Classroom > Canadian DAT Practice Tests > Blog section of the DAT Bootcamp website. I saw this before my Canadian DAT in November 2018, so it's definitely been written there for a while. They also list a variety of differences on the website:

• The Canadian DAT is administered as a paper based test (whereas the American DAT is computer based).
  • The Canadian DAT does not test organic chemistry or math.
  • The Canadian DAT has an optional manual dexterity portion, where a cylinder of soap is carved based on specific instructions provided.

I'm unsure as to why you were unable to see this information on the website because it's clearly there, but I personally found DAT Bootcamp very helpful. However, above everything, you probably should've done personal research yourself prior to the exam because all this information is also listed on the CDA website. 

1 hour ago, noface said:

"The reading comprehension section on the Canadian DAT gives you 50 minutes to complete the 50 questions (the American DAT provides 60 minutes for the 50 questions). Though the Canadian DAT provides less time, completing this section on paper is easier than completing reading comprehension on the computer (which is why less time is given on the Canadian DAT)."    - DAT Bootcamp

^The above is directly quoted from Classroom > Canadian DAT Practice Tests > Blog section of the DAT Bootcamp website. I saw this before my Canadian DAT in November 2018, so it's definitely been written there for a while. They also list a variety of differences on the website:

• The Canadian DAT is administered as a paper based test (whereas the American DAT is computer based).
  • The Canadian DAT does not test organic chemistry or math.
  • The Canadian DAT has an optional manual dexterity portion, where a cylinder of soap is carved based on specific instructions provided.

I'm unsure as to why you were unable to see this information on the website because it's clearly there, but I personally found DAT Bootcamp very helpful. However, above everything, you probably should've done personal research yourself prior to the exam because all this information is also listed on the CDA website. 

That was definitely not there last week, not sure why you are lying. Here is proof of a cached version of that page: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:cfb91H5v6EEJ:https://datbootcamp.com/blog/canadian-dat-practice-tests/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

That's super sketchy that you made a new account just to post that. I'm quite sure whose behind your account, at least have the courtesy to apologize and present the right information. You guys are playing with peoples lives. :(

15 hours ago, TrueChen said:

That was definitely not there last week, not sure why you are lying. Here is proof of a cached version of that page: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:cfb91H5v6EEJ:https://datbootcamp.com/blog/canadian-dat-practice-tests/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

That's super sketchy that you made a new account just to post that. I'm quite sure whose behind your account, at least have the courtesy to apologize and present the right information. You guys are playing with peoples lives. :(

Hey, sorry if you felt attacked by this :( I really DID see this before my November 2018 DAT (because I specifically remember searching up the time lengths of each section before the exam) but I guess I don't know how to prove that to you. I did make an account recently but I'm not affiliated with DAT Bootcamp in any way so I don't see why you want me to apologize to you lol

Okay, even if DAT Bootcamp did snake you, did you not bother to check this information over on the CDA website? You must've registered for the exam though this website, right? As a student paying a lot of money for a big exam that potentially determines the course of your future, you'd think one would bother to ensure that you know all the details of what you're going into... I think you only have yourself to blame rather than trying to get an apology from the DAT Bootcamp people. It would've taken you 5 seconds to confirm the length of the RC section t on the CDA website. "Oversight on my part" lol it's just your fault honey. Honestly, just learn from this lesson and know better for your next round. 

Think we all need to back off a bit here.

OP for sure could’ve done more research but DAT Bootcamp also did seem to miss their mark on this one.

As an company that advertises to the Canadian market and have a page dedicated to explaining the difference , they should’ve included this for sure.

OP, you wrote the Feb DAT right? So you can still write the November one and have it count for the 2020 application cycle in case this score is less than ideal.

5 hours ago, noface said:

Hey, sorry if you felt attacked by this :( I really DID see this before my November 2018 DAT (because I specifically remember searching up the time lengths of each section before the exam) but I guess I don't know how to prove that to you. I did make an account recently but I'm not affiliated with DAT Bootcamp in any way so I don't see why you want me to apologize to you lol

Okay, even if DAT Bootcamp did snake you, did you not bother to check this information over on the CDA website? You must've registered for the exam though this website, right? As a student paying a lot of money for a big exam that potentially determines the course of your future, you'd think one would bother to ensure that you know all the details of what you're going into... I think you only have yourself to blame rather than trying to get an apology from the DAT Bootcamp people. It would've taken you 5 seconds to confirm the length of the RC section t on the CDA website. "Oversight on my part" lol it's just your fault honey. Honestly, just learn from this lesson and know better for your next round. 

Why are you lying and trying to defend Bootcamp? I saw that page when the OP first made this thread and they never mentioned anything about reading comprehension being different and they still have not even bothered including how the Canadian DAT biology has different topics. 

@TrueChen Have you tried contacting the CDA and inquiring about this issue?

3 hours ago, TheGreatPiper said:

Why are you lying and trying to defend Bootcamp? I saw that page when the OP first made this thread and they never mentioned anything about reading comprehension being different and they still have not even bothered including how the Canadian DAT biology has different topics. 

@TrueChen Have you tried contacting the CDA and inquiring about this issue?

The specific topics that the cDAT biology encompasses are directly listed on the CDA website... this is all information that is DIRECTLY AVAILABLE to you guys!

What is there for the OP to inquire the CDA about? Not being able to read information that was all explicitly stated on their website?

They changed their page since @TrueChen first posted this thread. I have to agree with most people, DATBootcamp should have been more transparent even though OP should have looked up the CDA site. Why even use DATBootcamp when there's better Canadian DAT resources like DATCrusher, DATready and IQ publications? DATBootcamp isn't even representative of the Canadian DAT, it's created for the American DAT.

Sadly, they still have lots of misleading information on their site. For example "Though the Canadian DAT provides less time, completing this section on paper is easier than completing reading comprehension on the computer (which is why less time is given on the Canadian DAT)." That's simply not true. You don't get 10 minutes less just because the Canadian DAT is paper-based. They also didn’t disclose how the style of questions and passages on the American DAT are different than the Canadian DAT or how different biology topics are covered on the Canadian DAT. It's still a useful resource but they need to be more transparent.

Archived