Premed 101 Forums

2019 CaRMS unfilled spots

58 minutes ago, beeboop said:

https://www.carms.ca/pdfs/5drz57PbwqT_R1_1_OverviewByDiscipline_EN.pdf

what an absolutely brutal match...almost no IM or psych spots in round 2. Good luck to those that are going through it!

I'm interested to see how the continued streaming for CMG- and IMG-spots for Ontario & Alberta schools will play out for the 2nd iteration. Will it really improve the unmatched situation?

Heard from other people in my class that 26 people went unmatched this year at McGill. Don't know how reliable this is though. But assuming this is true, given a class size of about 190, this is about a 14% unmatch rate. That's pretty scary, especially since things seem to be just getting worse every year, and the pace seems to be picking up. Honestly quite concerned what things will be like when the students just starting out now get to their CaRMS year...

I have a question, if anyone went through this can help me out. 

I was unmatched today yet some of the programs I applied to were unfilled. My question is If i’m applying again to the second iteration, what changed ? My application is pretty much the same ... so what should I do to get matched in the 2nd iteration? 

7 minutes ago, JuniorDr90 said:

I was unmatched today yet some of the programs I applied to were unfilled. My question is If i’m applying again to the second iteration, what changed ? My application is pretty much the same ... so what should I do to get matched in the 2nd iteration? 

Honestly, no idea. I think in these situations your UME office and deans/advisors who have helped students in similar predicaments in the past may be your best resource.

2 minutes ago, hamham said:

They are very selective in who they interview and rank. Not every applicant gets an interview at Ottawa, and they don't rank every candidate. Same for Calgary.

Agreed, that's what I heard when I interviewed for Ottawa's FM program.

A program is not obliged to fill all its spots if they don't find the ideal candidate that they are looking for. 

1 hour ago, JuniorDr90 said:

Hard to predict..

I know someone who applied for a small program, rejected 1st iteration, re-applied 2nd iteration. Did not get in.

I know someone else who applied to a large program. Was rejected first round. Accepted in second round.

Depends why they didn't choose you first round, if they really need to fill the spots second round, other candidates...

Too hard to predict.. I'd say apply, you have nothing to lose

30 minutes ago, JuniorDr90 said:

It just surprises me that some programs would rather have all their positions unfilled than rank IMGs... 

Some of those path programs would take a blind monkey. 

If you're desperate, try pathology. 

Desperate FMGs are the norm. That's why pathology is by and large the only medical field that's primary filled with salaried employees. Desperate people take shitty deals.

25 minutes ago, sWOMEN said:

What an awful year - barely anything left over in the 2nd iteration - can't wait to see the decimation when the full stats are released on the website; anyone know when that might be?

Normally comes out in early/mid-April when the CaRMS Forum happens. Need to wait until 2nd iteration is done first.

11 minutes ago, JuniorDr90 said:

So what does it mean for a program to be competitive? 

"Competitive" in 2nd iteration means that CMGs and IMGs compete for the same unfilled positions, which is not the case in first iteration where the streams are separate. This is for most provinces' unfilled spots (minus Ontario and Alberta which have decided to keep the streaming in 2nd iteration this year, may become a going forward thing with more provinces on board in the future).

11 minutes ago, sWOMEN said:

Good on Ontario and Alberta, no IMG should be matched before CMG in my opinion. I don't know why there is no advocacy for a CMG only first iteration

Also any reason why Quebec including McGill is Regular instead of CMG/IMG/Both? 

Quebec is the only province that does not do the whole IMG/CMG streaming thing. 3 of the 4 medical schools in Quebec are francophone so the language barrier itself a big deterrence for IMGs to apply unless they are francophone - so you don't see a lot of IMGs applying to them anyways so streaming is not necessary. McGill is interesting in that you can technically be an IMG and still apply and be in the running for the positions that CMGs apply for, but there is a relatively more complicated equivalence process: https://www.carms.ca/match/r-1-main-residency-match/faculty-programs/eligibility-criteria-r1/ (under IMGs applying to Quebec).