Premed 101 Forums

Interviiew invite before the 8 march

Hi guys! 

I didnt get an interview this year but my stats are pretty good (9.4 and a lot of clubs/volonteering/research hours).I'm wondering how common is it to get an interview if you are on the waitlist ? 

The last Day of interview is the 8th of march.Im in 3rd year and i want to drop biochem to take chem gen 2 instead.However if they call me and i get an interview  ....i would not qualify anymore because biochem is one of my prerequisites . 

38 minutes ago, Workinghardtobeadoc said:

Hi guys! 

I didnt get an interview this year but my stats are pretty good (9.4 and a lot of clubs/volonteering/research hours).I'm wondering how common is it to get an interview if you are on the waitlist ? 

The last Day of interview is the 8th of march.Im in 3rd year and i want to drop biochem to take chem gen 2 instead.However if they call me and i get an interview  ....i would not qualify anymore because biochem is one of my prerequisites . 

Just due to the nature of the application process, I would place the waitlist movement on the extremely uncommon/rare scenario. Ottawa interviews 575 applicants, and of which i think there was something like 2700 meeting the excellence of marks criteria who proceeded to file review. All students not invited to interview are technically waitlisted. I would focus more on what you can do best for your grades this year, even if that means dropping biochem. Just be mindful that if you are currently taking biochem and drop it this semester, you lose the ability for weighted GPA at UofT if you do not immediately replace it with chemistry. 

That is certainly a tough choice to make. To add to what was said above, would it be too late to switch classes after March 8th? If not, you may want to wait until then in case you do get offered an interview. Also, depending on how biochemistry is going, if you do not think you will get a minimum grade of B in it, you may want to switch classes as a minimum of a B is required to be admitted. Try to consider how staying in the class and switching classes may affect your application(s) next year to try to arrive at the best decision. Perhaps meet with an academic advisor for additional advice? Regardless, try to reflect on what part(s) of your application may have been weak so you can improve for next year if necessary. I wish you the best of luck! 

Archived