Premed 101 Forums

Complete Task?

HelloWorld12

Hey everyone!

I had a question about the MMI that maybe someone can give some insight into...

Without divulging any detail about the situation, a task was required of us in a situation, and in the moment, I felt that it was not the right thing to do to go about "pursuing" that task. And so I didn't really try to complete it...But looking back, I'm thinking that was a horrible idea because the evaluators now has nothing to evaluate me on. 

Does anyone have any insight into this? Would this in general produce a very poor grade for that situation?

They're pretty transparent in saying that what you're evaluated on might not be what you expect or what you would think by reading the prompt.

If the scenario ends up taking you in a different direction than what you thought the "task" should be, then it was probably designed that way. Don't overthink it, no one here can guarantee you did or did not do well on the station.

I felt the exact same way. A lot of the interviewees I talked to afterwards also did not complete some of the tasks in various scenarios. It's hard to know what exactly the evaluators are looking for and if completion of the task is awarded any points at all.

I have been told that when they ask you to do a task, you should do the task. However, it may be impossible or hard sometimes to finish the task or to do it perfectly. I might be wrong, but if the scenario seems to take you somewhere else, it might be to test your ability to bring the focus back on the task. The way I see it is that it mimics how to conduct an interview with a patient (for example when you have very limited time and they start talking about their dog). Although in some stations they might want to see how you can adapt to certain situations..... it's hard to say. But I would say you should at least attempt to do the task at some point.

This waiting period is probably one of the hardest parts. As time goes on, we’ll start second guessing our answers and analyzing everything we said/didn’t say/did. As people have mentioned, it’s so hard to know what is being assessed in a particular station. Whether we get in or not, we will not know what we did well or didn’t do well since there’s no individualized feedback. What we perceive as strong might have been our weakest station, and vice versa.

OP, I don’t think there’s a ‘right’ answer anyone can give you about this. No one knows what was being assessed. However, my advice would be to be confident in your performance. Even if you think you did poorly, just think of it as your weak station. You’ll see on the forum from this year’s and last year’s posts that many people feel at least 2-3 stations do not go well. Don’t let this ruin your next month. Definitely easier said than done! All the best :) March 25 couldn’t come sooner!!! 

As you said, I also did not complete all the tasks;  it was not easy to play a role, be yourself and follow a prompt....I also feel I did several mistakes... However, I found the interviews were interesting and we were lucky to be asked to attend.

Now we have to wait a small month and keep hope...

Good luck to everyone

Archived