Premed 101 Forums

A gloomy Journey - Redo MCAT a third time or take US prerequisites

bruh

Just give you a little background, I'm a very energetic and generally happy guy. I'm the one that makes plans within my friends, I'm the one that loves to party. I have stayed resilient and positive throughout everything, but for some odd reason the past few weeks a wave of despair has been clouding my mind - I have never felt so defeated.

My parents and friends think I'm just more moody and hot-tempered, or I'm having relationship issues. I repress it because they don't understand, they don't help. I repress it because I put everything on the line for what seems to be a waste of my young years so far. 

I actually have a pretty good GPA for schools that drop my first year (Ottawa 3.92, UofT, 3.91, Western 3.92, Queens 3.94, Calgary 4.0, uAlberta 4.0, UBC 90%, etc..) 

I did the MCAT twice (494, then 503), bombing CARS both times which is the holy grail of standards for some reason.

I moved to Alberta purely for medical school, and lived pretty much on toast and ketchup for nearly two years trying to pay rent and bills on my own.

It wasn't a horrible move, I got two interviews last year actually (Calgary and Ottawa). I got high-waitlisted post-interview at Ottawa and I still didn't get in. What bothered me for a while was that a homophobic, misogynistic asshole I knew got in to Ottawa - he always told me "all you gotta do is fake it till you make it". He was a smart guy, he knew the right way to answer the questions, he didn't believe a single word he was muttering to the interviewers but it got him in, and I envied him for that. At the end of the day, I know  it's an unfair world so I got over it.

I got no interviews from Alberta this year, and  I no longer qualify for Ottawa as they now require a B or higher in every prerequisite course. 

I feel defeated and I'm only expressing myself here because you lot are the only ones who understand what I'm going through. But I also need your honest input because I want to give my dreams one last chance before I give up for good. The question I keep asking myself is "What is the best way to make myself competitive?".

I have been putting all my chips on Canada so far, so I never took all the US prerequisites. Not a smart move, I know. 

1. I am considering USDO , as I 100% don't mind living in the US for residency and thereafter. I would need to retake AND take several prerequisite courses . This would also qualify me again for Ottawa if I upgrade my prerequisite grades. 

2. The other option is I redo the MCAT a third time. A 510+ MCAT would make me competitive for many Canadian schools (Western, Queens, UofT, UBC, Calgary, Alberta, etc..). 

My US GPA is 3.7. With a 503 MCAT and having taken all the prerequisites I believe I may have a chance at US DO schools and Ottawa. It is a risky move because my GPA is high enough for most Canadian schools as mentioned, and a 510+ MCAT would make me competitive, but having done the ordeal twice and bombing CARS, I'm inclined to give up on Canada.

More than anything, I wanted to thank you for listening and caring. This community has been a huge help for me throughout the years and your responses have been keeping me going despite all the setbacks.

4 hours ago, FatherFranklin said:

1. I am considering USDO , as I 100% don't mind living in the US for residency and thereafter. I would need to retake AND take several prerequisite courses . This would also qualify me again for Ottawa if I upgrade my prerequisite grades. 

2. The other option is I redo the MCAT a third time. A 510+ MCAT would make me competitive for many Canadian schools (Western, Queens, UofT, UBC, Calgary, Alberta, etc..). 

My US GPA is 3.7. With a 503 MCAT and having taken all the prerequisites I believe I may have a chance at US DO schools and Ottawa. It is a risky move because my GPA is high enough for most Canadian schools as mentioned, and a 510+ MCAT would make me competitive, but having done the ordeal twice and bombing CARS, I'm inclined to give up on Canada.

Do both.  how unbalanced is your score?  You need to provide us the breakdown. 

I'm so sorry to hear  that, the albertan schools are quite competitive so don't feel bad.  U of C and U of A place a lot of emphasis on EC and interviewing skills, so if you do well on those you will get in.

I don't think it is your MCAT that's the main issue. The MCAT is only worth 10%. Perhaps focus on developing your ECs.

Don't give up, it's a tough journey, but eventually you will get in!! Everyone that I have seen try for medicine, got in eventually. It may not be on their first or second trail, but eventually they all got in :)

Archived