Premed 101 Forums

FM matching tips

Cloud_95

Hello!

Preclerkship medical student passing through here. In following the recent match news, I've been hearing so much about family medicine residencies being extremely competitive this year and some who were "gunning" for FM got very few interviews this year. This is distressing to me as I love family medicine and had been hoping to match to it in the future. However, I'm not sure if I am competitive enough anymore given that previous clerks who were gunning for specialties have decided to gun for FM for the sake of matching.

Would anyone be able to provide any insight as to what FM programs look for in an application in this climate? I imagine LORs and personal statement matter the most, but what about ECs and research? What about hobbies? Most of my time is dedicated to hobbies rather than formal ECs (i.e. like an interest group or school sports team). Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks in advanced! I realize I sound stressed... but the recent trends have been concerning.

3 minutes ago, Cloud_95 said:

Hello!

Preclerkship medical student passing through here. In following the recent match news, I've been hearing so much about family medicine residencies being extremely competitive this year and some who were "gunning" for FM got very few interviews this year. This is distressing to me as I love family medicine and had been hoping to match to it in the future. However, I'm not sure if I am competitive enough anymore given that previous clerks who were gunning for specialties have decided to gun for FM for the sake of matching.

Would anyone be able to provide any insight as to what FM programs look for in an application in this climate? I imagine LORs and personal statement matter the most, but what about ECs and research? What about hobbies? Most of my time is dedicated to hobbies rather than formal ECs (i.e. like an interest group or school sports team). Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks in advanced! I realize I sound stressed... but the recent trends have been concerning.

Honestly don't stress it. FM still remains the least competitive. Just make sure you do a diverse set of electives including FM at sites you want to match into. You don't need research for FM.  

Archived