Premed 101 Forums

Atlantic Bridge - Irish Dental School 2019

28 minutes ago, DDSNL said:

Are you aware how much they care about biology and chemistry pre-requisites? I completed a bachelor of engineering in Canada, so some chemistry but minimal biology (GPA 3.7). Currently completing a Masters in Health Services though. I applied for the 5 year program at UCC and Trinity. 

For the 4 year Cork program they required a fairly extensive prerequisite "topic" sheet in which you declared which courses taught those topics. I was able to attribute a course to every topic, but I don't know how heavily that was looked at.

22 hours ago, DDSNL said:

Are you aware how much they care about biology and chemistry pre-requisites? I completed a bachelor of engineering in Canada, so some chemistry but minimal biology (GPA 3.7). Currently completing a Masters in Health Services though. I applied for the 5 year program at UCC and Trinity. 

I believe that for the 5 year programs there are no specific prerequisites they ask for. From what I’ve heard, Ireland is very holistic and doesnt look that much into GPA as they are not comparable across different countries. References and personal statement make a large impact, eapecially the academic referece is what I’ve been told from atlantic bridge. Like @HopefulDDS said earlier, for the 4y GED we had to furnish a list of course topics covered in our undergrad as the GED program exempts you from a few courses the 5years have to take. I wouldnt worry about courses for the programs you applied to because irish students are able to enter them directly from highschool and they will likely build a strong core science foundation.

On 3/25/2019 at 3:47 PM, jillsmiles said:

Would you mind sharing if you had a ton of other factors like extracurriculars, high DAT? (Just trying to gage whether to consider the Irish route if my Canadian options are a dead end)

Like @DentalExplorer said Ireland doesn't look at the DAT. I would say I had good ECs: a lot of shadowing, working in a dental practice, wet lab research, leadership in clubs, and TA positions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got an interview invite from Belfast a few weeks ago. Atlantic Bridge said you usually hear back from them 2 weeks after the interview. It's been two weeks for me since Monday, but I still haven't heard back :( Does anyone know if this is normal? 

A few days ago AB said my application for TCD and UCC are still active but they did not mention Belfast.. I just got a rejection email this morning directly from Belfast. I have lost all hope for UCC since I have been rejected into Belfast for their 5 year program.. :( I applied for 4 year at UCC.

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from TCD or UCC? If you guys recieved 2nd round of offers, when were your deadlines? 

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...