Premed 101 Forums

Atlantic Bridge - Irish Dental School 2019

For those accepted to 4 year program at UCC, did you receive an email requesting supplemental documents regarding a detailed description of some of the undergrad courses?

If yes, do you remember how early they requested it after you apply? And how long after you sent the supplemental document to hear back from them?

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, dental0550 said:

For those accepted to 4 year program at UCC, did you receive an email requesting supplemental documents regarding a detailed description of some of the undergrad courses?

If yes, do you remember how early they requested it after you apply? And how long after you sent the supplemental document to hear back from them?

Thanks guys!

Yes, got it shortly after I applied fully (letters and grades in) so like January. Once you send it in you don't hear anything back until acceptances roll out. Take time and ensure that all of the topics are covered on the form because it's a main deciding factor between 4y and 5y. If you get into the 5y you can still apply for exemptions once the school year begins (but you can't get bumped to 4y)

2 hours ago, DentalExplorer said:

Yes, got it shortly after I applied fully (letters and grades in) so like January. Once you send it in you don't hear anything back until acceptances roll out. Take time and ensure that all of the topics are covered on the form because it's a main deciding factor between 4y and 5y. If you get into the 5y you can still apply for exemptions once the school year begins (but you can't get bumped to 4y)

Thanks for the reply!

For some topics I have more than one course covering the content, should I list all of the classes that cover the same topic?

example:

HIV and it’s life cycle and drugs = covered it in molecular biology and medical microbiology. Should I mention both  or only one?

Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! :(

I am planning to apply for the next cycle! I have a cgpa of 2.7x but have shadowing experiences, volunteer... II am planning to apply to the three dental schools that the atlantic bridge provides.. Am i completely out of luck for getting into any dental schools? :( Should i even try to apply?

18 hours ago, dentwannabe said:

Hi everyone! :(

I am planning to apply for the next cycle! I have a cgpa of 2.7x but have shadowing experiences, volunteer... II am planning to apply to the three dental schools that the atlantic bridge provides.. Am i completely out of luck for getting into any dental schools? :( Should i even try to apply?

From what I remember there is no minimum GPA to apply. However, I was told by an Atlantic bridge representative that 3.3 is generally when GPAs start getting competitive. Personally, I was accepted to Cork's 4 year program with a 3.5 GPA and all the extra curriculars and rejected by Trinity. Didn't apply to Queen's Belfast because they are in the UK and so not part of the reciprocity agreement with Canada (important to keep in mind). While it doesn't hurt to apply, I truly think a 2.7 is too far below competitive to give you a real chance at these schools. If you are dedicated to becoming a dentist I would look into a masters degree and talk to an Atlantic bridge representative about how you can best improve your application in the eyes of the Irish school admissions teams.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an extensive resume with lots of shadowing, great references, and an A/A+ in all pre reqs, except for in genetics I have a C+ (which sticks out like a sore thumb on my evaluation of prior learning form)... do you think this mark will tarnish my application? Or will my other high marks help them to overlook my low genetics mark? 

38 minutes ago, dentalkardash said:

I have an extensive resume with lots of shadowing, great references, and an A/A+ in all pre reqs, except for in genetics I have a C+ (which sticks out like a sore thumb on my evaluation of prior learning form)... do you think this mark will tarnish my application? Or will my other high marks help them to overlook my low genetics mark? 

I had a similar situation as you with one C+ and (and 4 B range grades) and I was accepted into the 4 year program. Even if it was impactful (which I don't think it will be) it would defer you to the 5 year program where the evaluation is not used

2 hours ago, dentalkardash said:

What is a C+ in your school? But regardless, I think Irish schools prioritize resume over grades, so you should be good!