Premed 101 Forums

Proof of Citizenship

27 minutes ago, this_process_is_death said:

Sup! I had an above average interview, ~31 AQ and ~42 NAQ. My MCAT was 510ish last cycle. I rewrote this year and got a 522 so here’s hoping the med school gods will be merciful this time around.

This is scary ... I don’t see how someone gets an above average interview with those stats and doesn’t get in :confused:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, NothingButNetters said:

For those folks who said they interviewed in the past with Above Average results and are also in this year’s applicant pool, do you know what was the crux/demise of your application those previous years? (i.e., Not uploading documents? Low MCAT? Poor choice of verifiers/references?)

Were you able to make some changes for this cycle? Some insight would be lovely! 

The last time I interviewed, I was waitlisted & rejected with an above average interview.  Ultimately, I think what got me was my low MCAT and poor choice of academic reference.  I have a better overall MCAT now and my submitted reference forms are all hopefully strong (at least I'm more confident in them).  Since then, I've also done plenty of new things while maintaining my old ECs.  We'll see what happens this time around haha.  At the least, I hope I performed equally as well as last time on my interview (if not better)  :S

To add why I think there is no correlation between proof of citizenship update and committee final decision (in addition to trying to convince myself for therapeutic reasons): 

1) Multiple reviewers: 
I am assuming there are multiple people working on the post-interview file reviews (I wouldn’t expect one person to take on the responsibility to review all 600 and something applicants that were interviewed). Because of this, the reviewers probably all had a set deadline to finish going through their piles of applicants and hand them in (so when you combine the different piles, some will have acceptances and some rejections and then inputting that data online wouldn't have a set trend). - maybe? 

2) It would become a known trend: 
I think if there was a clear correlation each year between proof of citizenship update and acceptance/decline decision, students would have really highlighted this and talked about it in previous forums (almost making it a known trend). I haven’t searched that rigorously through the past year’s forums, but my gut is saying it would be a more known fact and if this was the case, the committee would be equally aware that students know this trend (and may feel pressured to change it). After all, some members of the committee are medical students who went through the same process so they probably would have discussed it in their meetings. 

3) Only takes into consideration one aspect of your application:
Proof of citizenship update may correlate to one domain of your application, but it may not correlate to the final decision. For example, proof of citizenship verification may correlate to interview performance (but other facts such as MCAT score and reference letters still need to be taken into account).

4) What about rural applicants?: 
This doesn't take into consideration rural applicants who also have the rural sustainability section (RSS) of their application. For the RSS, the instructions stated to re-highlight activities written in other parts of the application such as extracurricular activities if they relate to the rural living because the RSS is assessed separately. Because the RSS is assessed separately, I am sure the committee probably require additional time when analyzing the rural cohort of students; therefore, they may have their proof of citizenship updated later because their files are taking additional steps in the process (but some of these students will still be successful applicants in achieving acceptances).

In the end, there are too many confounding factors to know for sure (if there is a correlation between PofC and interview performance or a correlation between PofC and final decision)! Try to find distraction during this long waiting game (even though I empathize it is very difficult!). Best of luck! :D

Alright I've got a couple things I'm thinking about..

1. Under the application status section it says "You've been invited for interview. Schedules interview etc.." My status from 17-18 reads "You were interviewed" (paraphrased). Hahaha talk about obsessing over the details but I wonder if that changes after the results are out? Also...

2. Do you all remember the writing station?! Ha! For some reason I've barely thought about it/rehashed what I wrote until just now. I only vaguely remember what the topic was and I remember my hand hurting a lot. Wonder what the adcom really makes of all those essays. 

Cheers. It's beautiful sitting in solidarity with you all. <3 

7 hours ago, ohimark said:

1. Under the application status section it says "You've been invited for interview. Schedules interview etc.." My status from 17-18 reads "You were interviewed" (paraphrased). Hahaha talk about obsessing over the details but I wonder if that changes after the results are out? Also...

I’m a little confused @ohimark... Are you saying that the text under the Interview Decision header has changed?

9 hours ago, ohimark said:

1. Under the application status section it says "You've been invited for interview. Schedules interview etc.." My status from 17-18 reads "You were interviewed" (paraphrased). Hahaha talk about obsessing over the details but I wonder if that changes after the results are out?

Oooh, that’s interesting.  Mine still says this:

5BA0F61B-65B2-40A8-9E82-95B958DF22F2.jpeg

5 hours ago, NothingButNetters said:

I’m a little confused @ohimark... Are you saying that the text under the Interview Decision header has changed?

Yeah sorry about that it was late. Mine currently says what @Neurophiliac captured, but my previous year's application (like where you go back and see your scores and stuff from last cycle) just says:

image.png.e76ea201cd68d7e36b8edcce85f995ee.png 

Obviously it's a throw away observation but that where I am right now. ;) 

2 minutes ago, ohimark said:

Yeah sorry about that it was late. Mine currently says what @Neurophiliac captured, but my previous year's application (like where you go back and see your scores and stuff from last cycle) just says:

image.png.e76ea201cd68d7e36b8edcce85f995ee.png 

Obviously it's a throw away observation but that where I am right now. ;) 

Oooh haha I see I see.  Yeah I don’t think they update that until results are disclosed.

1 month down, ~2 more to go... :S

4 hours ago, Poloma said:

Do we actually know the day of release? Or are you guesstimating based on last year

No we don’t, it’s all guestiproximation :lol:

I know somewhere I said it’s possible to be on May 13 and May 14, but now that I think about it some more... I think it’s very likely to be on Friday, May 10th.  Admissions will definitely let us know by end of April via email though.

2 hours ago, Neurophiliac said:

No we don’t, it’s all guestiproximation :lol:

I know somewhere I said it’s possible to be on May 13 and May 14, but now that I think about it some more... I think it’s very likely to be on Friday, May 10th.  Admissions will definitely let us know by end of April via email though.

Eh, who knows. Previously they always released interview offers on the Friday of the week. I was so confident that it would be Friday so I didn't check my phone all day Tues/Wed after hearing nothing (no reject) on Monday.. and of course, then I couldn't get my ideal interview time slot because I was late to the game Wednesday night.. :/ It hurts the head and soul too much to keep anticipating news... 

2 hours ago, Neurophiliac said:

Same here... early May is going to be teerrrrrible...  We all should try to enjoy the calm before the storm while it lasts :lol:

Try to keep busy everyone! Hit the gym (healthy heart = healthy mind), focus on upcoming midterms, or finish your MSc. before July 30th (where I am at)!

You are all awesome, keep calm and carry on! 

Archived