Premed 101 Forums

MD PhD Acceptance

For those who might benefit from this information (present and future): 

uOttawa has released their acceptances for the MD/PhD program (Monday, March 4th). 

Interviews were held mid-late February.  There were around 8-10 applicants interviewed for roughly 4 spots. 

We (or at least I) have until March 13th to confirm, or reject, the acceptance. 

Congrats to those who got accepted! 

I hope this might help those curious about the program in terms of interview/acceptance dates. 

On 3/5/2019 at 1:42 AM, Health_in_Perspective90 said:

uOttawa has released their acceptances for the MD/PhD program (Monday, March 4th). 

Interviews were held mid-late February.  There were around 8-10 applicants interviewed for roughly 4 spots. 

I hope this might help those curious about the program in terms of interview/acceptance dates. 

I was wondering if you have accepted the offer yet or not as I realize you have also been offered acceptance at UBC, if you are willing to share this information. I am currently on the waitlist and was just wondering what my chances of moving up are.

Congratulations though, and I wish you the best!

On 3/5/2019 at 1:42 AM, Health_in_Perspective90 said:

Congrats.

57 minutes ago, Jhabvala said:

Congratulations! I have 2 questions I am hoping you can answer: 

1) Did you have extensive research experience (basic or clinical) prior to applying to MD/PhD program? 

2) Do you have to find a PhD supervisor prior to applying to the MD/PhD programs? 

You don't need to find a supervisor prior to applying

Hi Stats!

2) You don't. However, I made it a point to interview with a couple potential supervisors prior to my interview. This, in particularly, was helpful for the UBC interview. It also, in my opinion, helps streamline the matching process. Also, it gives you an idea of the labs at the university. Also something to write and talk about in your applications and interview, respectively. 

I gleaned that this was not the 'norm' from other applicants based on those I talked to during the interviews. 

1) I did have a fairly strong research background (though this is relative). My research has been in applied and environmental microbiology. I hold a MSc and have worked as microbiologist in the government for 2 years. A couple publications and a number of conferences round out my research background. 

Hope this helps! 

Archived