Premed 101 Forums

Abortion

md2024

Hi everyone, 

I will be interviewing at a few med schools (MMI format) and I'm worried about what to say if they ask for my stance on abortion. I know that I should discuss how it's a very difficult issue, that there are differing perspectives, their arguments, why each side has its strengths, other complexities (such as rape cases), etc. On one hand, I feel like a woman should have a right to choose what happens with her body and that some people wouldn't even consider fetus' actual living humans or "persons". But on the other hand, it is undeniable that an even an embryo resulting from fertilization is a living human organism, and that all human beings deserve the right to life. 

Do you think it would be okay for me to say after explaining all of this (both sides of the issue, and mentioning that I realize it is a difficult dilemma), that I give my opinion of the issue?

Nothing that is politically charged will ever be asked in an MMI or interview. MMI's like to use non-medicine situations to get at your ethical/problem solving skills, so what is important is to find how that situation links to medicine and mention how your approach to that specific problem will be helpful in your career as a physician.

Archived