Premed 101 Forums

Dealing with nerves before interview

Hey!! I just had my interview this previous weekend and I can tell you a little bit about my experience and how I dealt with my nerves. 

First of all, we need to recognize that being nervous is normal!! Everybody is going to be nervous to some degree, because this interview is important to them :) Here is what I did: first, I tried to work on different techniques that helped me control my nerves during practice sessions the week before (and ultimately did the same during the real interview). I took a few deep breaths before entering the MMI rooms. When I entered, I would smile and when I sat, I would sit upright and smile and make eye contact (these small gestures boosted my confidence and led me to be less nervous ). The day before the interview, when I checked into the hotel, I allowed myself to be a NERVOUS WRECK! I let the emotions come in so that I could experience them and deal with them. I feel like this drained me and so the morning of, I was confident and happy because I just couldn't be nervous anymore (if that makes any sense). I made myself a playlist of motivational and happy music which I listened to when I was getting ready in the morning (maybe a bit of self-talk in the mirror might also help), and took a walk to Starbucks for a quick bite, which helped me clear my head.

When you get there, tell yourself that everybody is as nervous as you are. Treat it like a practice session, and try to show your real self to the interviewers. Remind yourself that being too nervous will only make your answers suffer, but accept that you will be a little nervous regardless and that's going to be okay. Welcome it. It's normal. I basically didn't sleep for 2 nights before my interview because I was so nervous, but you know what? I welcomed it. It's okay. I had some extra coffee that day. Try to go in with that mentality. And honestly, the med students there are so amazing and so welcoming that they will make this whole experience really fun and relatively stress-free. 

And remind yourself that this is not do or die. If not this year, then next year. If it doesn't happen now, then it will happen later. Show them how amazing you are (you got an interview and so I'm sure that you are an exceptional applicant). Let them see the real you, and try to have fun with it. This is the mentality that I went in with. This experience will only make you stronger.

I hope that this somehow helped! I only talked from experience so take it as you please, and find what works for you :) Good luck!!

Something that really helped me was talking to the other candidates! Because I realized everyone was shitting their pants i sorta calmed down. In my experience my nerves left me after the first mmi station just because my adrenaline was so high.

hope everything goes well!

Archived