Premed 101 Forums

From Finance to Medicine

Hello. Everyone, im a student from Spain, i came to Canada as a tourist a few years ago, im working as well to get my residence, i studied in economics and finance in Spain, but medicine is what i really like, so i would like to know what are the steps to follow and my possibilities to study in Canada.

Thank you everyone have a good day.

You will need to have completed the equivalent of a University undergrad in Spain.  You need to have your grades (GPA) converted to Canadian using  wes.org or similar.  If you have a recognized undergrad and you have a +3.8 GPA start looking at the requirements at a few schools.  You will need to write the MCAT exam for most schools. This might be a step learning curve if you did not take Sciences in school.    You also need to get your permanent residence lined up.

Until you get your permanent residence set up, you can't apply to medical school in Canada. Well, you CAN, but its practically impossible to get in as an international student - most med schools flat out don't accept international students or only accept 1 or 2. Also, its MUCH, MUCH more expensive. For example, McMaster University accepts international students, but the cost of tuition is $96,000 PER YEAR for three years, compared to $29,000 per year for Canadian citizens/PRs. My advice would be to try and do medical school in the UK or Ireland, do your post-grad training there and then come to Canada that route. It will take a much longer time but its more realistic. 

Archived