Premed 101 Forums

residency without match

Residency-wise perhaps they had also applied to the US or some other country. I'm not too familiar with match timelines outside of Canada.

Does that option also include doing like a PhD or something? 

I find it hard to believe that someone could simply break the CaRMS employment contract and enter another program in Canada.

Ehhhhh... stuff happens. Know of people who got interviews to programs who allegedly missed the application deadlines, another person who needed emergency surgery on the tour who allegedly didn’t match and then room was found at amtheir top of the list program (they also wanted them too) so they was the best case outcome in the end for a horrifying scenario. Don’t know if any of these breaks carms contracts but truly I’m happy it worked out for them.

2 hours ago, ChemPetE said:

Ehhhhh... stuff happens. Know of people who got interviews to programs who allegedly missed the application deadlines, another person who needed emergency surgery on the tour who allegedly didn’t match and then room was found at amtheir top of the list program (they also wanted them too) so they was the best case outcome in the end for a horrifying scenario. Don’t know if any of these breaks carms contracts but truly I’m happy it worked out for them.

I guess the way I interpreted the original prompt is you had already matched to another program and then somehow left to go to another program.

In the situations, you mentioned there was no contract formed as one didn't match and the other was just an interview situation. 

13 hours ago, blah1234 said:

Residency-wise perhaps they had also applied to the US or some other country. I'm not too familiar with match timelines outside of Canada.

Does that option also include doing like a PhD or something? 

I find it hard to believe that someone could simply break the CaRMS employment contract and enter another program in Canada.

The Canadian Match usually occurs before the U.S. Match (NRMP). Those who match in Canada through CaRMS must stay, so are automatically withdrawn from the NRMP if they were registered in that one too.

On 3/9/2019 at 11:07 AM, blah1234 said:

I guess the way I interpreted the original prompt is you had already matched to another program and then somehow left to go to another program.

When I did the survey that’s how I interpreted it too. 

Archived