Premed 101 Forums

UBC Post-Interview Criteria

Hey,

Just wondering how/if MCAT plays a role in post-interview decisions? I think my interview went well, really loved Vancouver, but have a 509 MCAT. I am currently in my Master's, have a strong aGPA and most likely a strong NAQ because I am OOP. Should I be worried with my MCAT?

15 hours ago, keener12345 said:

Hey,

Just wondering how/if MCAT plays a role in post-interview decisions? I think my interview went well, really loved Vancouver, but have a 509 MCAT. I am currently in my Master's, have a strong aGPA and most likely a strong NAQ because I am OOP. Should I be worried with my MCAT?

No one knows how it factors in, but UBC says that it is part of the file review. And score does seem to matter somewhat, as the average entrance score is often around 513-515 and the average score of rejected applicants is usually 510-511. (Although you could argue that stronger applicants will just tend to be stronger across all criteria on average, and you might get the same result even if the MCAT wasn’t included post interview because of that correlation).

That said, it’s an average. And I certainly know a few people who had overall strong applications and a weaker MCAT in my class. So I wouldn’t worry about it too now. Too many unknowns for you to speculate on your chances!

On 3/8/2019 at 8:46 PM, keener12345 said:

Hey,

Don't think you should think too much about that right now. There's a lot that comes down to it and no one knows how important one aspect is compared to the rest. I think my MCAT score was just below the avg of my class when I was accepted too

Archived