Premed 101 Forums

21 minutes ago, amir1 said:
ENTERING YEAR 2018   2017  2016  2015  2014 
NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS 

NUMBER OF INTERVIEWEES

PERCENTAGE OF APPLICATIONS (MALE:FEMALE)

47:53

48:52

49:51

50:50

PERCENTAGES OF ACCEPTANCES (MALE:FEMALE) 

43:57

47:53

40:60

50:50

AVERAGE ACCEPTED GPA*

applymd.utoronto.ca/admission-stats

Pre-interview: +6% female gap

Post-interview acceptances: +14% female gap

Pre-interview: +4% female gap

Post-interview acceptances: +6% female gap

Pre-interview: +4% female gap

Post-interview acceptances: +20% female gap

Pre-interview: +2% female gap

Post-interview acceptances: +4% female gap

2014-2018 statistics shows very strong institutional bias towards female applicants during toronto admission process (OMSAS sketch, essays, interviews)

How can the university of toronto medical school fix this significant gender gap?

Should the school do more to achieve gender equality? It's 2019

This topic made me lose brain cells

Having a % difference between females and males says nothing about the applicant pool. The fact that it is so close to 50% illustrates parity at the level of admissions into the MD program. 

A 10% skew could say many things for that particular year: 

1. Females outperformed males in their academic record 

2. More females met the MCAT cutoffs than males. 

3. More females wrote better essays than males 

4. More females had more glowing letters of recommendation

The list goes on. I don't think there's an institutional level bias at the level of admissions pushing for more females. Beyond admissions, females have it much harder in the domain of securing more competitive specialties/even at the level of being taken seriously by staff/patients. I wouldn't try and say that men are being discriminated against, because I think you'll easily lose that argument. 

"Female trainees receive feedback that focuses on personality traits rather than demonstrable skills."

Isn't this a good thing? Most program directors and residents I've talked to mention being a good person is more important than being skilled because you can teach anyone. 

Also, what about racial minorities? I don't think stats related to that get collected, but I'm sure there could be eye opening information related to that as well.

I had to count to 10 before posting a response, and I am very grateful that the rest of my peers have taken the time to unpack the utter lack of understanding of @amir1 for the reasons many institutions' efforts to close the gender gap (in favour of male physicians) that existed for decades! 

@amir1 appears to be trolling the UoT forum, he posted another gross misrepresenting and misinterpreted piece about lack of "social diversity" in UoT!!! 

Women and non-binary gender individuals, have a long way to go to close the gap that for decades favoured male applicants. I am sure you have all heard of Japanese medical schools that admitted to scaling down the scores of female applicants as a way of accepting more male applicants, because women are considered risking education investments! Japan is not a third world country! we see instances of such discriminating policies or hidden micro-aggressions in the US and here in Canada. I am glad that the Royal College of the Physicians and Surgeons of Canada is encouraging institutions to close the gender gap. We still have a long way to go to do it with respect to the ration of male to female physicians, not to mention the  gender gap in pay! 

It's befitting to end this post with one of my favourite 'Heritage Minutes' videos on Jennie Trout, the first woman to become a licensed medical doctor: 

image.thumb.png.00363ca53e941cb14d3e237ba4fc45b1.png

I think this is the point he is trying to raise although worded poorly. It appears UofT for whatever reason is slightly biased towards females. During recent years, the ratio of sexes for the percentage of acceptances were skewed to a varying degree towards female compared to the ratio of sexes for the percentage of applications. I would potentially attribute this to how females often have better soft skills than male counterparts and therefore perform better on the interview.

1 hour ago, MitralLunar said:

image.thumb.png.00363ca53e941cb14d3e237ba4fc45b1.png

I think this is the point he is trying to raise although worded poorly. It appears UofT for whatever reason is slightly biased towards females. During recent years, the ratio of sexes for the percentage of acceptances were skewed to a varying degree towards female compared to the ratio of sexes for the percentage of applications. I would potentially attribute this to how females often have better soft skills than male counterparts and therefore perform better on the interview.

I agree @MitralLunar. Someone else just posted some studies on this forum, suggesting that women perform better in MMIs, so that could be true in MPI too? Women get better interview scores so more get in, it just seems that UofT doesn't actively try to change this and make it even between genders. Which is good, they should be taking the best applicants. 

Freedom of speech is often cited as a protection banner for views that lack perspective on diversity, inclusion and equity! Additionally, it is often forgotten that freedom of speech applies to opinions, one is free to express one's opinion, however one is not free to make up their own facts and/or misrepresent facts/evidence! 

@Aristotle your argument regarding lack of freedom of speech is neither logical nor accurate! The commentator freely and without undue pressure posted their opinion. In the same vein, other members posted their opinion about the aforementioned opinion. So freedom of speech all around! 

4 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Funny how there is no freedom of speech anywhere! The guy can't even post his concerns without being called a troll!

well as long as the post doesn't violate form rules anyone can post.....and people are equal free to respond.  My job as a moderator is to allow that happen as best as I can.  Personal attacks are to be avoided - calling someone a "troll" may fall into that category and thus gets my attention ha. 

Also this s a bit pedantic or dogmatic but freedom of speech only says the government cannot limit or censure speech or the written word. We apply the principles of it here as well as it promotes discussion but technically it doesn't apply. I mean that in particular as lately we had a rash of posts that were removed by the most super moderator of all ha as it was felt things were going off the rails. 

I would warn anyone to think long and hard before posting these kind of things on these forums. Keeping these things to yourself would be benefitial imo. These forums, medical schools, and the academic world in general is sooo radically far left someone on these forums may report you and you'll get blacklisted from all the med schools in Canada for even bringing something like this up LOLOL 

Archived