Premed 101 Forums

CTU vs Subspecialty Electives for IM

As someone interested in IM, how many electives should one do in CTU vs subspecialty pre-carms? I was thinking of doing most of my electives in CTU and maybe 2 electives in a subspecialty, just so there is some variety. What is everyone's opinion? Is that too much?

Having completed my core IM rotation, I've realized that it can be hard to get good interaction with the attending on CTU, as often times it's the senior and junior residents running the wards. As opposed to a subspecialty rotation where you get more 1 on 1 engagement with your preceptor. Any tips on getting LOR on CTU? 

Any advice is appreciated, thanks! 

23 hours ago, sekiro said:

As someone interested in IM, how many electives should one do in CTU vs subspecialty pre-carms? I was thinking of doing most of my electives in CTU and maybe 2 electives in a subspecialty, just so there is some variety. What is everyone's opinion? Is that too much?

Having completed my core IM rotation, I've realized that it can be hard to get good interaction with the attending on CTU, as often times it's the senior and junior residents running the wards. As opposed to a subspecialty rotation where you get more 1 on 1 engagement with your preceptor. Any tips on getting LOR on CTU? 

Any advice is appreciated, thanks! 

Either is enough to get you in. CaRMS can really be unpredictable. With that being said, I felt that CTU gave you a better chance to impress your attending because of how teaching focused it is. I felt like it is easier to impress on CTU because of how broad ranged it is, whereas subspecialty often requires an indepth knowledge of one area of medicine, which a medical student usually doesn't have. The staff on CTU are more likely to be involved and/or known to the admissions committee as well.

I think your choice is great. Definitely do some subspecialty to explore for your own interest, to show diversity and show you've explored. I think something like 40-70% of your electives in CTU is great. 

The best singular piece of advice to get a good LOR on CTU is to try to act at the level of a junior resident. It can be hard during your first elective, but as you go along and get the hang of how a CTU runs. You often will get there. Its about being keen, likeable, eager but also not stepping on other people's toes, intelligent, asking the right questions etc. 

Archived