Premed 101 Forums

M.D., C.M. Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted - Fall 2019 Admission

cardiomed

6 minutes ago, Premed_Girl said:

Congratulations to everyone that is accepted! One question, why is everyone only posting their pre-reqGPA? Does McGill not care about cumulative GPA?? 

cGPA is only considered pre-interview, but the prereq GPA is worth 20% (or 10% for those who submitted MCAT) with the interview at 80%

Posting late.

TIME STAMP: 2:45 pm (I was ready to give up)

ResultINVITE

PrereqGPA: 4.0

MCAT: Not used 

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt like I really messed up 1 scenario, had 2 unremarkable ones, but I was overall satisfied with the direction the rest of the scenarios went and the reactions/responses from the actors/evaluators.

Year: finished MSc 2018.

IP/OOP/International: IP

Comments:  this was my second year interviewing at McGill. Completely bombed the MMI last year (as in I was at the very bottom of 300 interviewees). This year I felt that my responses were more natural and my emotions/reactions were genuine. I hope this helps future applicants. I'm unbelievably excited to meet everyone!

10 hours ago, RD2BE said:

TIME STAMP: 2:00PM (BRUTAL WAIT)

Result: Admitted with Condition!!!

pre-reqGPA: N/A
MCAT: N/A
Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I honestly felt very well prepared and like I did very well

Year: Finished masters, RD

IP/OOP/International: IP, NTP

comments: Now to figure out if I need to do a QY!!!!!!! 

Could I message you? I have a similar background and would like to apply NTP next year. Thanks! Congrats!

sorry for the late post, been busy pinching myself and crying all day!!

TIME STAMP: ~14h30 pm (heart attack since 9 am)

Result: Admitted with condition !!!

pre-reqGPA: 4,00 (redid my 4 basic pre-reqs at Athabasca, Thomson Rivers), old pre-req GPA was 3,01

MCAT: Not submitted

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): This was my 4th time interviewing at McGill, so I felt confortable with the process (I could've basically rehearsed their ppt slide), so I was a lot more relaxed and went in there being 1000% authentic (cheesy I know but its true). Felt like I was great in 3 stations, 1 below average and the rest pretty average

IP/OOP/International: IP

Comment : I've been applying to med school for 7 years!!! This was my 4th interview at McGill, I was straight up refused all 3 cycles before being admitted this year with no WL. Anyone with refusals, I know it sucks, I know your hurt. You need to keep trying and you need to push through if this is what you want. If anyone wants to chat PM me!!!

5 hours ago, mariyaa said:

I see a lot of very high prereq GPAs within those admitted. Can anyone tell me what my chances would be with a 3.4 prereqs GPA? I’m guessing I need to score pretty high at the interviews. 

I got in with a pre-req GPA of 3,2. I have to be honest, I feel like I did pretty well on my interviews. Of course, we are our biggest critics, so I always tend to overthink and find stuff that I could've done better. But I think if you have all the right elements you're fine. I have a friend who got in last year with the same prereq GPA as mine. The MMI counts for 80%, so I think if you do really well on the interview you'll be fine. 

8 hours ago, Dr.Dave said:

I got in with a pre-req GPA of 3,2. I have to be honest, I feel like I did pretty well on my interviews. Of course, we are our biggest critics, so I always tend to overthink and find stuff that I could've done better. But I think if you have all the right elements you're fine. I have a friend who got in last year with the same prereq GPA as mine. The MMI counts for 80%, so I think if you do really well on the interview you'll be fine. 

Congrats on your acceptance! Thanks for the insight, it's much appreciated :)

TIME STAMP: somewhere between noon and 2h30 pm

ResultAdmitted with conditions!

PrereqGPA: 3.81

MCAT: Not submitted 

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I felt like I had messed up one station, did amazing on 2 and decent on the rest. I knew everyone interviewing were really strong candidates, so I was unsure and honestly am still baffled that I got an admission offer.

Year: finished BSc 2018 

IP/OOP/International: IP

Comments:  this was my second year interviewing at McGill (waitlisted last year). I didn't think it would, but a year made a huge difference! Wherever you are on the waitlist, be assured that your number exists for a reason and it is a possibility. Don't let others discourage you from achieving your dreams. 

SEE YOU GUYS AUGUST 20TH!! :) 

On 3/25/2019 at 2:00 PM, RD2BE said:

TIME STAMP: 2:00PM (BRUTAL WAIT)

Result: Admitted with Condition!!!

pre-reqGPA: N/A
MCAT: N/A
Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): I honestly felt very well prepared and like I did very well

Year: Finished masters, RD

IP/OOP/International: IP, NTP

comments: Now to figure out if I need to do a QY!!!!!!! 

For NTP, did you study part time? Or it was because your sciences courses were expired and they refused the exemption? I'm trying to understand the NTP application but i got two different responses from the admission. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2019 at 6:16 PM, Dodo said:

TIME STAMP: 2:13pm

Result: Admitted!

pre-reqGPA: 3.90

MCAT: Not submitted

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): It was my first time interviewing at McGill, but I was refused by NOSM and UdeM last year. At the time, I had no clue what I was doing and after talking with very successful applicants, I realized I had the wrong approach. I did a lot of preparation and introspection this year, and this made the interview experience so much easier and fun! I think I did very well in 3 stations, did bad in 2 and the rest is pretty much average. Coming out of the interview, I wasn't completely confident, but I did feel good overall and I knew for a fact that I nailed a couple of stations.

IP/OOP/International: IP

Comments: This feels unreal... especially because I have only studied literature, no "hard" science whatsoever! When I started taking prereqs two years ago, it sure seemed like a long shot... I am so grateful that McGill dares to accept people with non-traditional backgrounds

congrats!! 

I am wondering how did you prepare more for this year round and what do you mean by using wrong approach. I got refused and I want to get better for next year!!

Thank you

On 3/28/2019 at 7:40 AM, marjemarj said:

For NTP, did you study part time? Or it was because your sciences courses were expired and they refused the exemption? I'm trying to understand the NTP application but i got two different responses from the admission. 

ETA: As of May 27, 2019, the NTP stream at McGill has been eliminatedhttps://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/ntp

So in my case, I completed some years part time and I didn't have the physics requirement. Otherwise, my other pre-reqs were valid and completed.

For NTP,  there are a few requirements:

-you have to be considered a QC resident,

-you have to have completed an undergraduate degree by July 31 of the year you would matriculate

-you have to have completed at least 4 of the pre-reqs (out of 8 total), but any of them can be expired (so even if you took the 4 pre-reqs 25 years ago, you don't have to redo them), 

-you can't be eligible to apply to any other category (important!!!!11111)

There are also a few characteristics of a candidate that makes them ineligible for the other categories, but eligible for NTP:

-you can have completed your basis of admission degree on a part-time basis (this makes you otherwise ineligible to apply in the other categories)

-your re-reqs can be out of date (see above)

-you can have missing pre-reqs (again, see above)

So, you can have all 3 of the above, only 2 or only 1 and apply to NTP.

Qualifying Year:

As part of the NTP program, you are automatically put into a qualifying year (that, from what I can see, appears to have similar curriculum as the Med-P year). Once you get into the NTP program, you are asked to submit your current CV and a letter outlining what you do or don't have in terms of pre-reqs/work experience, etc. so that a committee can then decided whether or not you need that extra year and what you would need to take during that year. Some reasons people may not need this year since they  completed or updated the pre-reqs throughout the application cycle. The admissions office was VERY helpful regarding my questions about the qualifying year. If you have more questions, please PM me!

A few more things of note:

- since you cannot apply to NTP if you are eligible for any other category, you need to be mindful of any extenuating circumstances (EC) that would enable you to apply to the regular university stream. For example, if the only reason you would apply to the NTP category is because you needed to take a year on a part-time basis due to circumstances outside of your control (illness, death in the family, caregiving responsibilities, etc etc etc), then you might be able to submit a letter of EC that would make you eligible for the regular stream. Unfortunately, no one can confirm whether or not your EC will be accepted, so it's challenging to know how to proceed if this is your case (personal opinion!)

- similar to the above, if your pre-reqs are out of date due to advanced degrees or you specifically work in a domain that would enable you to keep up to date on the sciences, then you would probably be recommended that you submit for exemption from having to re-do you pre-reqs due to work experience, advanced degrees, etc. in the summer before you apply. If your out of date pre-reqs are what make you eligible for NTP, but you are able to get an exemption, then in fact you are ineligible for NTP, since you are able to apply in the normal university category, with that letter of exemption from admissions

Finally - right now on McGill's website it says "THIS PROGRAM IS UNDER REVIEW". I have no idea what that means, from a practical standpoint. What I do know, is that all of the above information may be out of date or incorrect if McGill makes substantial change to the NTP program

All of this is my personal understanding of the NTP program!!!!111111 I do not work for McGill so this should not be taken as gospel, only as helpful knowledge translation!!! kthxbai!

Edited by RD2BE
NTP program now eliminated

• 10 months later...