Premed 101 Forums

2nd Degree: Course load for eligibility

Hi,

I am currently in my first year of my second bachelor's degree and I took 4 classes per semester (i.e. 12 credits per semester for a total of 24 this year). I am planning on taking 4 classes per semester again next year for a total of 48 credits by the end of my second year. I will be applying in fall 2020 with my 48 credits (i.e. in the third year of my second degree).

However, on Mcgill's website it says:

"Applicants may be considered on the basis of a second, subsequent undergraduate degree (minimum 60 credits). However, 45 consecutive graded credits (in a second/alternate bachelor's degree program) must be completed by the November 1 application deadline. The remaining 15 (or more) credits must be completed by July 31 of the year of entry to medical school, and these must be at a level comparable to that which appears in the academic records submitted at the time of application."

Does anyone know if the 45 credits that need to be taken consecutively automatically means 15 credits per semester for a second degree? Or is having 12 credits fine. I would also respect the minimum of 60 credits by July 31st.

I just don't know if the fact that I took 4 classes per semester (i.e. 12 credits instead of 15) screws me over or not. PLEASE HELP!

Thank you :)

3 hours ago, zackattack881 said:

Hi,

I am currently in my first year of my second bachelor's degree and I took 4 classes per semester (i.e. 12 credits per semester for a total of 24 this year). I am planning on taking 4 classes per semester again next year for a total of 48 credits by the end of my second year. I will be applying in fall 2020 with my 48 credits (i.e. in the third year of my second degree).

However, on Mcgill's website it says:

"Applicants may be considered on the basis of a second, subsequent undergraduate degree (minimum 60 credits). However, 45 consecutive graded credits (in a second/alternate bachelor's degree program) must be completed by the November 1 application deadline. The remaining 15 (or more) credits must be completed by July 31 of the year of entry to medical school, and these must be at a level comparable to that which appears in the academic records submitted at the time of application."

Does anyone know if the 45 credits that need to be taken consecutively automatically means 15 credits per semester for a second degree? Or is having 12 credits fine. I would also respect the minimum of 60 credits by July 31st.

I just don't know if the fact that I took 4 classes per semester (i.e. 12 credits instead of 15) screws me over or not. PLEASE HELP!

You have to be careful with that rule.
You need to have completed 45 credits in the new undergraduate degree by November 1st of the year that you apply.
As long as you have completed 45 credits by the time you apply, they don't care 
In my case, to meet that requirement within the first year, I took full-time semesters for Fall, Winter, Summer.
Currently, unless I wrong, your plan is :

• Fall 2018 : 12 credits
  • Winter 2019 : 12 credits
  • Fall 2019 : 12 credits
  • Winter 2020 : 12 credits

Therefore, by Fall 2020, you will have 48 credits completed.
You're good.

@HoopDreams Thank you for the quick response.

Do you know  if all the 45 credits need to be only credits that go towards my new degree? Because I took some easier classes to boost my average but still got the credits for them. I'm assuming McGill doesn't care as long as I am registered in the program and have all the prerequisites for med school.

Also, for the science prerequisites. Will they look at the science classes I took during my first degree to assess for those? I know they won't count towards my GPA calculation at this point, but do those grades still matter? If so, what's the minimum grade required?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I really appreciate anyone who answers.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:15 PM, HoopDreams said:

As long as you have completed 45 credits by the time you apply, they don't care 
In my case, to meet that requirement within the first year, I took full-time semesters for Fall, Winter, Summer.

But do I have to finish my second bachelor before July 31st to be accepted into McGill? Or do they just want me to reach a minimum of 60 credits in my new degree?

Hi everyone,

Do you know how this works if we take classes through Inter-University Transfer? So, the classes are graded, but the grade does not appear on the McGill transcript. It is basically like a semester away. Do you know if the credits taken this way count towards the 45 credits needed to have my second bachelor count as the BAC for basis of admission?

Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, MedSchoolHope101 said:

Hi everyone,

Do you know how this works if we take classes through Inter-University Transfer? So, the classes are graded, but the grade does not appear on the McGill transcript. It is basically like a semester away. Do you know if the credits taken this way count towards the 45 credits needed to have my second bachelor count as the BAC for basis of admission?

Thanks in advance!

They have to be 45 new credits absolutely. 

7 hours ago, MedSchoolHope101 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

45 new, and graded credits

Archived