Premed 101 Forums

Dozens of actresses, Business Leaders and Other Wealthy Parents Implicated in College Admissions Scam

VigoVirgo

These people are born with every advantage from the moment of birth. They start to go the the best schools even at the kindergarten level, they never have to worry about anything other than 100% focusing on their academics, they get all the help they need with unlimited resources available at their earliest convenience. Every possible thing that could give them even a slight edge is freely offered to them. 

But this is all not enough. It's not enough that things are already extremely easy for them as is. They STILL have to go that extra step, they have to lie and cheat to absolutely make sure they get the spots that they feel ENTITLED to. I'm reminded of that doctor's kid we've all become familiar with in the past few days, but unfortunately he's not really important because he's merely one of the "unlucky" ones that was caught. 

All of the political and economic power in Canada, and North America really,  has been concentrated in the hands of the wealthy and the well connected in the past 30 years. It needs to be wrestled away and given back to everyday working people. I'm not sure if this country was ever at any point designed to reward people based on merit, but it certainly isn't the case right now, and things are only getting worse. 

Many of the privileged have feelings of entitlement, take advantage of their positions routinely and in business, like Trump, are white collar criminals whether charged or not (e.g., price fixing contracts, cheating on income tax, etc.). The wealthy and powerful have rigged the system in obscene ways already, but many are dissatisfied and want more! Well, occasionally they get caught.  

7 hours ago, Bambi said:

Many of the privileged have feelings of entitlement, take advantage of their positions routinely and in business, like Trump, are white collar criminals whether charged or not (e.g., price fixing contracts, cheating on income tax, etc.). The wealthy and powerful have rigged the system in obscene ways already, but many are dissatisfied and want more! Well, occasionally they get caught.  

It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin ;)

On 3/12/2019 at 11:17 PM, Egg_McMuffin said:

My God. Just buy your kid a spot with a sizable donation to the school like normal rich parents wtf is wrong with these people.

Ha, the entire point is to somehow make it look like your child earned the spot. If you just dump cash at the school it is too obvious. True wealth is supposed to be subtle, not ostentatious. It is a wink, a nod, and a simple smile. This is something else - and worse it commits the ultimate sin, getting caught :)

These private schools - so much on a name that doesn't actually improve the educational outcome. That is coming from someone currently at one of those schools. The idea that they make some sort of huge outcome in the end is over blown - simply because the end companies are well aware that just because you went to yale doesn't mean you are all that smart, and they need smart people. 

Actually this has been well known for years. Maybe less so at public universities, but at private universities like the Ivy League, they give preference to parents who donate significant sums of money to the school.

The only difference is that the parents paid an external admissions consultant to lie to the schools about their children's applications. This is a step too far for the schools. Normally, you can simply donate money to the school to become a "development" applicant (aka, school hopes to get more money from you in the future). Now some parents seem to be taking it a step further and making up stories about their children's applications which is why they are getting caught. 

18 minutes ago, Edict said:

Actually this has been well known for years. Maybe less so at public universities, but at private universities like the Ivy League, they give preference to parents who donate significant sums of money to the school.

The only difference is that the parents paid an external admissions consultant to lie to the schools about their children's applications. This is a step too far for the schools. Normally, you can simply donate money to the school to become a "development" applicant (aka, school hopes to get more money from you in the future). Now some parents seem to be taking it a step further and making up stories about their children's applications which is why they are getting caught. 

One thing I should add to this - these are not public schools like canada has. These are private colleges - and are run a bit differently. They absolutely prefer to accept people that have are children of parents that have already gone to that school. They aren't even holding back on that - and it has nothing specific to do with immediate donations (although I am sure long term it improves the amount alumni donate). There has been a bonus for things like that for ages. 

Not mention all the academically silly biases some of them have had about various ethic groups - flat out discrimination against people who are jewish at harvard come to mind. That school is not along with that sort of stuff. There is an active lawsuit right now at Harvard for now bias against people of asian descent. Valid case or not I am saying in general these schools haven't put students all on the same level field while pretending that was exactly what they were doing. 

What makes this a bit different is the parents are just flat out lying/fabricating things. Ha, just like in other fields they are seeking out any weaknesses in the system - like getting in with athletic rules or faking learning disabilities to gain an advantage according to one of the articles I read on it. 

Exactly - Jared Kushner's chances at Harvard were really helped by a well-timed 2.5 mill donation by his Dad.  Bribing a coach or proctor costs less money, although does cross the legal line.  Legacy preferences is the still completely legal route, for helping with admission, based on family attendance and financial contributions. Cal tech, MIT and UC Berkeley are  three major schools that do not allow legacy preferences.  

3 hours ago, rmorelan said:

One thing I should add to this - these are not public schools like canada has. These are private colleges - and are run a bit differently. They absolutely prefer to accept people that have are children of parents that have already gone to that school. They aren't even holding back on that - and it has nothing specific to do with immediate donations (although I am sure long term it improves the amount alumni donate). There has been a bonus for things like that for ages. 

Not mention all the academically silly biases some of them have had about various ethic groups - flat out discrimination against people who are jewish at harvard come to mind. That school is not along with that sort of stuff. There is an active lawsuit right now at Harvard for now bias against people of asian descent. Valid case or not I am saying in general these schools haven't put students all on the same level field while pretending that was exactly what they were doing. 

What makes this a bit different is the parents are just flat out lying/fabricating things. Ha, just like in other fields they are seeking out any weaknesses in the system - like getting in with athletic rules or faking learning disabilities to gain an advantage according to one of the articles I read on it. 

Aren't two of the schools named in the scandal public just like Canadian schools? UCLA and UT Austin are both public schools.

On 3/12/2019 at 9:19 PM, sWOMEN said:

At the end of the day, connections are king and the further down the rabbit hole you go the more rampant it is and the less traceable and proveable it is - having connections to secure yoan a attending job vs residency spot vs medical school spot for example

You can't do anything about the preferences for attending jobs. It is the groups that decide who they want to hire, and they can use whatever reason they want.

But that doesn't mean one should ignore the blatant cheating that took place here. I'd argue such cheating should be prosecuted at all training levels no matter how hard. That should include residency and fellowship levels.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:26 PM, ysera said:

These people are born with every advantage from the moment of birth. They start to go the the best schools even at the kindergarten level, they never have to worry about anything other than 100% focusing on their academics, they get all the help they need with unlimited resources available at their earliest convenience. Every possible thing that could give them even a slight edge is freely offered to them. 

But this is all not enough. It's not enough that things are already extremely easy for them as is. They STILL have to go that extra step, they have to lie and cheat to absolutely make sure they get the spots that they feel ENTITLED to. I'm reminded of that doctor's kid we've all become familiar with in the past few days, but unfortunately he's not really important because he's merely one of the "unlucky" ones that was caught. 

All of the political and economic power in Canada, and North America really,  has been concentrated in the hands of the wealthy and the well connected in the past 30 years. It needs to be wrestled away and given back to everyday working people. I'm not sure if this country was ever at any point designed to reward people based on merit, but it certainly isn't the case right now, and things are only getting worse. 

This also crossed through my mind. You have every advantage. You don't need to work, ever, you have money for tutors,  all the academic help you need and yet somehow.....it's not enough. Daddy has to pay someone to photoshop you playing freaking water polo of all things to get into a university. What a time to be alive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 10:36 PM, Tullius said:

Aren't two of the schools named in the scandal public just like Canadian schools? UCLA and UT Austin are both public schools.

you are correct ha sorry. Missed that originally. Some very good public schools as I understand it. 

Archived