Premed 101 Forums

Class Size?

31 minutes ago, HotAwkwardNerd said:

QuARMS is not being totally axed. They're changing the program to accept people after second year university. The details are still being finalized but it will exist to some degree it seems

This would be an interesting change. I wonder what would be the benefit of QuARMS in that case?

Most medical schools begin accepting students after 3rd year.

Edited by ArchEnemy

40 minutes ago, ArchEnemy said:

This would be an interesting change. I wonder what would be the benefit of QuARMS in that case?

Most medical schools begin accepting students after 3rd year.

Probably just a testing grounds to see if there's a 'better way' to admit medical students. Plus ultimately that still saves a year for most students, which puts QuARMS on even footing with McMaster and Calgary. Arguably it is even better than the latter 2 schools, since a 4 year medical curriculum gives more time for research and electives.

26 minutes ago, obiwankenobi said:

Really? I wonder what's causing that. A toxic program? A change of heart in regards to their career? The difficulty of university?

Maybe they are finding that entering medicine without any prior exposure to university life is a negative and not producing the best doctors? Not sure though, could be something more trivial

2 hours ago, hiyayosup said:

Maybe they are finding that entering medicine without any prior exposure to university life is a negative and not producing the best doctors? Not sure though, could be something more trivial

The first year of QuARMS students only entered the match this year, so no way to know anything about how good of doctors they'll be.

Back to the original question, it's 3 MD/PhD or MD/Masters and 10 QuARMS within the 100 total seats. This leaves 87 seats for people applying to the MD stream (not including people who deferred their acceptance from previous years, which cuts into that 87). There are also an additional 3 seats allocated to the military and up to 5 for international students (the international quota has never been filled I don't think. It was only 1 for the 2022 class).

2 hours ago, hiyayosup said:

From my understanding, QuARMS students do attend university for the first two years. It's not like they are kept away in some dungeon writing papers :lol:

10 minutes ago, xiphoid said:

The first year of QuARMS students only entered the match this year, so no way to know anything about how good of doctors they'll be.

Back to the original question, it's 3 MD/PhD or MD/Masters and 10 QuARMS within the 100 total seats. This leaves 87 seats for people applying to the MD stream (not including people who deferred their acceptance from previous years, which cuts into that 87). There are also an additional 3 seats allocated to the military and up to 5 for international students (the international quota has never been filled I don't think. It was only 1 for the 2022 class).

Damn...even worse odds than I originally thought :(

7 minutes ago, ArchEnemy said:

From my understanding, QuARMS students do attend university for the first two years. It's not like they are kept away in some dungeon writing papers :lol:

Haha my apologies -- like I said I don't know much about QuARMS...I should probably stop speculating lol

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 11:07 PM, xiphoid said:

I'm shocked by this. I'm an international student who just got rejected from McGill post-interview but did not apply to Queen's as I had no idea they even took international students. For McGill, there are 90 international applicants, out of which 10+ are interviewed and 2 are admitted. I would assume the internationals who apply to McGill also apply to Queens. So out of 90 applicants Queen's only thinks 1(!) of them is good enough for admission and prefers to leave the other 4 spots empty?! That's crazy, don't even think I should bother applying this year

15 minutes ago, pakistani said:

I would assume the internationals who apply to McGill also apply to Queens.

Clearly not, since you didn't even know Queen's offered international spots. :P

But in all seriousness, if a school doesn't think the applicants they have are good enough, they have the right to just not admit anyone. At the end, international or not, you graduate with a MD from a Canadian medical school, making you eligible for first iteration CMG reserved spots in CaRMS. If everyone else applying in that iteration is held to a certain standard, then I don't see why that standard should be lowered just because there are more spots than there are qualified candidates. In response to your point that only 1 applicant being good enough for admission, I wonder if there perhaps were 1-2 others who were offered a seat and turned it down for another school or perhaps another country. It's a very very small sample ultimately so it's hard to draw any conclusions. There aren't a lot of international students in Canadian medical schools in general since we don't exactly try to recruit internationally at the medical school level.

9 hours ago, pakistani said:

I'm shocked by this. I'm an international student who just got rejected from McGill post-interview but did not apply to Queen's as I had no idea they even took international students. For McGill, there are 90 international applicants, out of which 10+ are interviewed and 2 are admitted. I would assume the internationals who apply to McGill also apply to Queens. So out of 90 applicants Queen's only thinks 1(!) of them is good enough for admission and prefers to leave the other 4 spots empty?! That's crazy, don't even think I should bother applying this year

Keep in mind that McGill doesn't require the MCAT and Queen's does (might screen out a lot of international applicants, especially with CARS). And the few that aren't screened and are actually competitive are likely to receive offers to Toronto (they also take international students FYI and their admissions process is similar to Queen's in the sense they are an EC heavy school), which might explain why Queen's has unfilled spots at the end. Like xiphoid said, it's just too small of a sample to draw any meaningful conclusions.

15 hours ago, xiphoid said:

Clearly not, since you didn't even know Queen's offered international spots. :P

But in all seriousness, if a school doesn't think the applicants they have are good enough, they have the right to just not admit anyone. At the end, international or not, you graduate with a MD from a Canadian medical school, making you eligible for first iteration CMG reserved spots in CaRMS. If everyone else applying in that iteration is held to a certain standard, then I don't see why that standard should be lowered just because there are more spots than there are qualified candidates. In response to your point that only 1 applicant being good enough for admission, I wonder if there perhaps were 1-2 others who were offered a seat and turned it down for another school or perhaps another country. It's a very very small sample ultimately so it's hard to draw any conclusions. There aren't a lot of international students in Canadian medical schools in general since we don't exactly try to recruit internationally at the medical school level.

Actually international students aren't eligible for the first round CMG match since they are not permanent residents or Canadian citizens per the CaRMS website. The expectation is that international students will return to their home country after completing medical school. However, I think many choose to pursue permanent residency status in order to match here.

7 hours ago, metacarpal said:

Keep in mind that McGill doesn't require the MCAT and Queen's does (might screen out a lot of international applicants, especially with CARS). And the few that aren't screened and are actually competitive are likely to receive offers to Toronto (they also take international students FYI and their admissions process is similar to Queen's in the sense they are an EC heavy school), which might explain why Queen's has unfilled spots at the end. Like xiphoid said, it's just too small of a sample to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Just for clarity, assuming that the international student did their degree outside of Canada, they are obligated to submit MCAT scores for McGill.