Premed 101 Forums

Class Size?

4 hours ago, QueenStan said:

Actually international students aren't eligible for the first round CMG match since they are not permanent residents or Canadian citizens per the CaRMS website. The expectation is that international students will return to their home country after completing medical school. However, I think many choose to pursue permanent residency status in order to match here.

Yes the implied meaning of my comment is that should they choose to pursue PR or citizenship status in Canada, they are eligible for CMG spots. They are not limited to IMG spots, whereas an international student graduating from an international medical school will never have the option of applying for CMG spots.

3 hours ago, la marzocco said:

Just for clarity, assuming that the international student did their degree outside of Canada, they are obligated to submit MCAT scores for McGill.

I'd venture a guess based on the few international medical students in Canada that I know, most did their undergrad in Canada as well. It seems that most come to Canada for university, and then want to stay here for medical school (or grad school). Given how much harder (and longer) it is to get into medical school in Canada compared to most countries in the world, I don't imagine there are many university grads outside Canada who want to come here for medicine.

14 minutes ago, xiphoid said:

Yes the implied meaning of my comment is that should they choose to pursue PR or citizenship status in Canada, they are eligible for CMG spots. They are not limited to IMG spots, whereas an international student graduating from an international medical school will never have the option of applying for CMG spots.

I'd venture a guess based on the few international medical students in Canada that I know, most did their undergrad in Canada as well. It seems that most come to Canada for university, and then want to stay here for medical school (or grad school). Given how much harder (and longer) it is to get into medical school in Canada compared to most countries in the world, I don't imagine there are many university grads outside Canada who want to come here for medicine.

Interesting.. most international students I know at McGill are American, and they seem to have done their undergrad in the US and had to submit mandatory MCAT scores for admissions into McGill. Small sample size I guess.

1 minute ago, la marzocco said:

Interesting.. most international students I know at McGill are American, and they seem to have done their undergrad in the US and had to submit mandatory MCAT scores for admissions into McGill. Small sample size I guess.

Interesting indeed. I don't know a single American at a Canadian medical school. Those from American schools have all been Canadian citizens/PR who went south for undergrad. The international medical students I know at (or were at) a few different Ontario schools are all from outside North America (e.g. Brazil, Singapore, Malaysia, India, UK, etc.)

Just now, metacarpal said:

I don't know what the benefit would be for an American wanting to come to Canada for med school other than the cheaper tuition (at McGill only, because it's absurdly high at the other schools). Assuming they will be doing residency in the US, it's in their best interest to attend an allopathic school in the US itself. 

Cheaper tuition is definitely a factor, but those I have met all mentioned "venturing out of a one's bubble" and seeing the Canadian experience. Not sure how much weight that is worth, but still interesting. McGill is no Ivy League, but its name still rings a few bells in the US when u do apply to residency in the US. Most Americans at McGill do match quite well back to the states. 

39 minutes ago, COMMANDO said:

What Canadian med schools accept International applicants and whats their quota?

Memorial: no specific international quota but there are 6 spots for Canadian applicants outside of Newfoundland, New Brunswick and PEI AND international applicants. Those 6 spots likely go to Canadian applicants, considering their data shows they've had 0 successful foreign applicants for the past 6 years.

Laval: 1

Sherbrooke: 1

Montreal: 2

McGill: up to 2

Queen's: up to 5

Toronto: no specific quota

McMaster: no specific quota