Premed 101 Forums

Med-P Applicants R Score and Invites /Regrets 2019

MD-2024

Hi guys! 

So 25th of March is coming in about 12 days and we will soon get our invites for the MMI or refusal and I thought that it would be interesting to compile a few data about us. (the applicants) 

Copy-past this template and fill it!

Answer :

Programs where you applied:

R Score (cegep): 

Your feeling about the Casper test:

Extracurriculars, a quick overview of your CV: 

P.S:  Good luck everyone! Don't stress yourselves! We should just relax and hope for the best :P:P

• 2 weeks later...

Answer as of March 22: Waitlisted pre-interview [April 3 Invited to the interview!!!!]

Programs where you applied: medicine, optometry and pharmacy 

R Score (cegep): global is 35.3 (Vanier) 

Your feeling about the Casper test: I had a good feeling and I think I performed well considering my lower than average r score for people invited to interviews (looking at last years’ stats)

Extracurriculars, a quick overview of your CV: lifeguard, swimming instructor, volunteering at the hospital, tutor, etc 

A bit disappointed but at least I didn’t get refused right away! I keep my fingers crossed 

Answer: Refused.

Programs where you applied: Medicine, Neuroscience

R Score (cegep):  35.2

Your feeling about the Casper test: Overall good. Had to skip one question in one of the scenarios because I just didn't understand it and found it very ambiguous, but yeah.

Extracurriculars, a quick overview of your CV: Lifeguard, tutor, instructor in some stuff, some sports and other activities.

Kind of expected it anyway. Dropping from a 37 R score to a 35 in the span of two semesters probably didn't help either.

Answer as of March 22: Waitlisted

Programs where you applied: Med-P + math/physiology (+ med opto pharm @ francos)

R Score (cegep): 36.3 (33.7 first semester but here I am)

Your feeling about the Casper test: ehh, did not do very well, I was really not concentrated at the several last questions (was sick and had a huge migraine episode but it's not like I could've pushed back my casper)

Extracurriculars, a quick overview of your CV: tutoring, volunteering as a teacher assistant, air cadets, summer jobs, etc. but nothing special (did not do hospital volunteering)

fingers crossed but at this rate I think a rejection is under way, however in the slim chance I get invited (highly improbable) I'll probs mess up my interview and get rejected post-interview anyway :)

Answer: Refused

Programs where you applied: Med-P, dentistry, pharmacy, physiotherapy

R Score (cegep):   35.7

Your feeling about the Casper test: Overall good. Of course, because of the time restriction, some of my answers were cut but in general, I felt pretty confident about my performance.

Extracurriculars, a quick overview of your CV: Volunteering at various events,  tutoring, working at a summer camp, etc. 

refused for premed today 22 march 2019 

Programs where you  applied: premed and neurosciences 

R Score (Cégep) :      36.6:

Your feeling about the Casper test: not very well , was stresssed , but answered the majority of the questions, but let some blanks  !

Extracurriculars, a quick overview of your CV:  tutor, Worked as a préposé on a hospital, music and volonteering in cultrual events in my region! 

i am really angry, and desapointed, thought with 36,6 would be at least interviewed or waitlisted !

is some one here in the same  situation !? 

23 minutes ago, Domo2019 said:

Your feeling about the Casper test: not very well , was stresssed , but answered the majority of the questions, but let some blanks  !

Extracurriculars, a quick overview of your CV:  tutor, Worked as a préposé on a hospital, music and volonteering in cultrual events in my region! 

i am really angry, and desapointed, thought with 36,6 would be at least interviewed or waitlisted !

wow, my condolences. it's really weird, I always thought that a 36.5+ would guarantee an interview if you have an average CV/Casper (your ECs seem to be OK but idk why). McGill is indeed harsh this year, I know someone who got rejected with 36.3, a good Casper and an average CV. I don't think my CV/Casper are great either, but I'm still in the course so let's just hope for the best...

5 minutes ago, haenurplaza said:

wow, my condolences. it's really weird, I always thought that a 36.5+ would guarantee an interview if you have an average CV/Casper (your ECs seem to be OK but idk why). McGill is indeed harsh this year, I know someone who got rejected with 36.3, a good Casper and an average CV. I don't think my CV/Casper are great either, but I'm still in the course so let's just hope for the best...

How do you know their casper is good ? I hope youll get that interview :) 

8 minutes ago, Floralilia said:

How do you know their casper is good ? I hope youll get that interview :)

My friend (that person) got accepted to nursing, and they told me that they're pretty confident about their CASPER.

Also thanks, but my average CV and (baddish) CASPER (I was feeling really sick and I had a headache) convince me otherwise :(

55 minutes ago, Domo2019 said:

What the hell, REFUSED with a 36.6? Not even waiting list or something? This is indeed VERY odd.

1 hour ago, Domo2019 said:

You canNOT have a feeling of entitlement no matter how well you believe you have done compared the pool of similar applicants in any given cycle. No reason to be angry. The motto is if you don’t succeed at first, try, try again.

what appears to be a blow can be a benefit in disguise. By doing your undergrad and having more life experiences, you will mature, gain perspective, learn humility, which is required of physicians, and become a better applicant. Moreover, you are not in a position to judge the pool of applicants this cycle.  I was not ready after Cégep, matured so much in the next 3 years, improved my learning skills, became an independent, self-reflective learner and was ready for medicine then. And although difficult to fathom, a few years more in a 40-50 year career will not negatively affect your future career. If you are seeking advice of an excellent prep for Med in undergrad, send me a PM.

10 hours ago, haenurplaza said:

This is a lottery where Lady Luck plays an important role at every stage, same for residency spots. This is our real world where you need to be flexible, adjust to the reality, take some hard knocks, or go for another profession, however, liuck plays an important role everywhere. You do your best and learn that what you don’t control has to play out it’s hand, and the chips fall where they may. You do the best you can with the cards you are dealt.

35 minutes ago, Bambi said:

You canNOT have a feeling of entitlement no matter how well you believe you have done compared the pool of similar applicants in any given cycle. No reason to be angry. The motto is if you don’t succeed at first, try, try again.

what appears to be a blow can be a benefit in disguise. By doing your undergrad and having more life experiences, you will mature, gain perspective, learn humility, which is required of physicians, and become a better applicant. Moreover, you are not in a position to judge the pool of applicants this cycle.  I was not ready after Cégep, matured so much in the next 3 years, improved my learning skills, became an independent, self-reflective learner and was ready for medicine then. And although difficult to fathom, a few years more in a 40-50 year career will not negatively affect your future career. If you are seeking advice of an excellent prep for Med in undergrad, send me a PM.

It’s My feeling , canot control it, worked  too hard for 2 years to get a good cote r!

Casper canot représent my real capacities or Any Other person to cope with this job requirenent now and in 30 years of career, i guess we can improve and adapt with the practice!

Anyway I applied for French médical Schools, also , so At least  with my cote r i ´ll be interviewed  before being rejetted! 

Just now, Domo2019 said:

It’s My feeling , canot control it, worked  too hard for 2 years to get a good cote r!

Casper canot représent my real capacities or Any Other person to cope with this job requirenent now and in 30 years of career, i guess we can improve and adapt with the practice!

Anyway I applied for French médical Schools, also , so At least  with my cote r i ´ll be interviewed  before being rejetted! 

I think what Bambi is trying to say (and correct me if I'm wrong), is that this a long arduous process for some. I have applied 6 times to medicine at McGill and have received 3 interviews (including this cycle). After each rejection (pre MMI or post MMI), I have constantly tried to improve my application each cycle (whether that's completing more undergrads/education, retaking classes such as basic sciences, improving and reflecting on myself). It's okay to feel sad and discouraged, but don't let this feeling make you feel like you cannot become a physician. It's much easier said than done but I encourage you to take some time to go through your emotions, get back up and continue persevering if this is what you truly believe you want to do. Should you need to complete an undergraduate degree (if the French schools don't work out this cycle), then I encourage you to reflect a lot and do things you love and are passionate about. From experience, McGill seems to appreciate and invite students with a holistic applications /well-rounded.  Although my grades weren't super competitive, my Casper and CV have significantly helped me get to interview stage in recent years.  I wish you all the best of luck in your French interviews! 

Just to be clear : I don't want to rub salt in people's wounds. Rejection is hard no matter the circumstances, and it's OK to be upset. I was upset last year too. However, it is important to remind ourselves that in Quebec, we are lucky to even be allowed to apply to Med School straight from Cégep. All other Canadian schools (with some very rare exceptions, i.e. in a very limited stream at Queen's I believe) require applicants to have completed a degree. I wish everybody success, but if things don't work out this year, here's an opportunity to become a better applicant the year after and to want this career even harder. I'm almost 30 and I like to think that there's no deadline to become a physician. This helps me enjoy the journey.

3 hours ago, Domo2019 said:

Hope you'll do great on the French interviews, you deserve it ^^ and yeah Casper is REALLY not representative of you as an individual imo. Also if you get refused, you can ask for your rank (cote R, Casper, CV) so if you ask the admissions for your rankings you'd know where you messed up and you can improve further upon it!

Answer: Waitlisted

Programs where you applied: Law (McGill), (+ medicine, dentistry, PT @ francos)

R Score (cegep):  35.1

Your feeling about the Casper test: Overall good. (but yeah who really knows?) I did not leave any blanks and wrote at least 1 sentence for every question. 

Extracurriculars, a quick overview of your CV:  Worked at a McGill hospital, did volunteer work at a McGill hospital, tutoring, I play soccer and have a certification as a soccer educator (worked as one as well), did a humanitarian trip once

This might explain: They only invited 218 QC University applicants to interviews this year compared to 299 in 2018. My guess is that they did the same for Med-P this year (inviting much fewer to interviews). We will find out when the statistics for med-p are put up on this site. 

I’d estimate they only invited about 200 applicants for med-p interviews (assuming same proportion of fewer invites) as opposed to 273 in 2018.

21 hours ago, md2024 said:

This might explain: They only invited 218 QC University applicants to interviews this year compared to 299 in 2018. My guess is that they did the same for Med-P this year (inviting much fewer to interviews). We will find out when the statistics for med-p are put up on this site. 

I’d estimate they only invited about 200 applicants for med-p interviews (assuming same proportion of fewer invites) as opposed to 273 in 2018.

Well, that’s a disgrace, but I guess we can do nothing about it. Also, is it me or they’re waitlisting more people pre-interview this year compared to past cycles?